Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Interupptions

For some reason, I wake up most mornings expecting that my days will go smoothly and that the mini-goals I have presented in my head will go as planned. On the whole, I do not expect interupptions, in fact, frequently, I dismiss them as a bother.

But Romans 12: 1-2 has been in my thoughts lately:

"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."


Which makes me think: what if the interupptions are part of God's will?

When I think of "God's will"--I think of the future--His plan. Big ideas and decisions. But life is lived out in momments, and it's the details of those momments that matter.

So today I chose to (try) to look at my "interupptions" as part of His will. Seeing how they fit in the great scheme of things. If I didn't, some things I would have missed:

~my daughter interuppting me in dinner to show me her fairy house she built outside. If I would have reacted differently, she might have decided to leave me be and not show me her creation again.

~daughter 3 interuppting me for a little "love time". If I would have dismissed her she might not have gotten her "love cup" full.

~my husband calling me to tell me he "just wanted to hear my voice." Nice, right?

~and lastly, best of all, daughter 2 interuppting me while I am on the phone (which she knows is not ok, but did it anyway) to tell me she "asked Jesus into her heart that day when daddy was outside with [son] and I was in the kitchen doing work".

I was on hold, anyway.

So, I hung it up, kneeled down on her level, looked her right in the eyes and said, "I know you did, honey. I know you did. "


I know of no greater simplifier for all of life. Whatever happens is assigned. Does the intellect balk at that? Can we say that there are things that happen to us that do not belong to our lovingly assigned "portion"("This belongs to it, that does not") Are some things, then, out of the control of the Almighty? Every assingnment is measured and controlled for my eternal good. As I accept the given portion, other options are canceled. Decisions become much easier, directions clearer, and hence my heart becomes inexpressibly quieter. A quiet heart is content with what God gives.
~Elisabeth Elliot

4 comments:

Miriam said...

Andrea,

My mom just gave me E.E.'s book Keep a Quiet Heart. It sounds like maybe this quote could have come from it?

Another thought-provoking, beautiful post. :)

Andrea said...

I am not sure, Miriam.
I actually got it from a book called "Calm My Anxious Heart" by Linda Dillow. Let me know if you like that book. I've been thinking of getting an E.E. book for myself.

Kat said...

Hey Y'all! I'm 99% sure that quote comes from "Keep a Quiet Heart", which is an AMAZING book. I read it back in college (you know, when i had time to really read) and i remember thinking it was a classic. Along with Stepping Heavenward (which I think you also quoted on your blog somewhere Andrea)

Andrea, thanks for your treadmill encouragement. You know that really did encourage me! ;-)

Suzanne said...

This is a beautiful post. reminds me of Romans 8:6 "to be spiritually minded is life and peace" this is a great way to be spiritually minded, looking at interruptions as Gods will. He did promise to direct our paths. there is nothing along our path He didn't know about already. I heard a very interesting thought from Bill Johnson the other day. He's the pastor of a large church in redding California. he said there are no coincidences in the spirit. Like if you see the same lady shopping at the grocery store every time you go there, maybe God has put her in your path for a reason, maybe even to share the love of Christ.
anyway, i enjoyed your post and thanks for sharing.
Kats friend and a sister in the Kingdom ~Suzanne