Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Mother culture

One of my favorite posts by Humble Amy is
"Hug the cross". I'll pause while you read. Be sure to click back.

Along her same lines, I'd like to talk about one of her points....reading books.

As a mother, it is important to keep your mind stretching and growing. Not just for your own sake, but for your children's and husband's sake as well. There were years when all I read were homeschooling and parenting books. Yes, there is nothing wrong with that, but the mother's mind needs a varied amount of stimulation. After I burnt out on those types of books, I took a break for a couple of years. I began to pick up classics, memoirs, fiction, biographies. And I began to feel inspired. And being inspired helped me to find fascination in God's world. And this attitude, if you will, spread easily to my children. (and yes, I have read those types of books again!)

Karen Andreola has a wonderful chapter in her book A Charlotte Mason Companion, deemed "Mother Culture" (which is her title, not mine, as I used it for this post). She quotes Charlotte Mason:

"Never be without a good book on hand. If you will read and ponder your Parent's Review you will find that it stimulates your educational thought in many directions and keeps you from drifting into mere routine...Do not think this is a selfish thing to do, because the advantage does not end with yourself."

Andreola advises to "Keep three books going." A "stiff" book: a challenging read such as theology. An easy book: biography or fiction, and a novel: Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, or modern day novels. With these three books, the Bible is a must, of course.

While I don't follow that model, per se, I do try to read a varied amount of books. Books are not the only way to inspire a mother. Art, music (including lyrics), and poetry are other ways.

Billy Graham said, " Mothers should cultivate their souls, that in turn they may cultivate the souls of their children."

Tending our own soul in turn, helps us to flourish as a mother.



1 comment:

tonia said...

Lovely post - thank you for the encouragement to read.

That Karen Andreola book was the first one I ever read about Charlotte Mason - long before I evern knew I would be homeschooling. I turn back to it all the time.

I love that phrase "Mother Culture".

Time for me to go read. :)