Thursday, August 17, 2006

Perspective

Today I was told of a local homeschooling mother of 8 (the eighth being 5 weeks old) whose husband was killed on Monday on his motorcycle. It was a hit-and-run.
Shock, grief, and sorrow immediately filled me. This woman is not a close friend, nor is she just an acquaintance. We had many "heart-to-hearts" while working together in the nursery during a homeschooling co-op. Her daughter attended my daughter's birthday party a few years back. She had 5 children, when I had two. I have not talked to her in 3 years, but my heart wrenches for her. Can you imagine how raw her emotions are now--already--with a 5 week old infant?
And, why God--why? She has 8 children?!

It does give me perspective.

Instead of muttering about my husband's long hours, I will thank God he can work those long hours.

Instead of complaining of my daily interupptions with 4 children, I will thank God that I am experiencing "normal life"--not a tragic situation.

Instead of lamenting my days are full and there is no time for my "to-do" list, I will be thankful my to-do list doesn't have funeral arrangements on them.

And I will kiss my babies more.

And I will hold my husband just a little bit longer tonight.

"The Lord is righteous in all His ways,
and loving toward all He has made.
The Lord is near to all who call on Him,
to all who call on Him in truth.
He fulfills the desires of those who fear Him;
He hears their cry and saves them."
~Psalm 145:17-19




Please pray for the Anderson family.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

WHY would a father of 8 risk his life by riding a motorcycle? HOW TRAGIC.