Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Risk

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. ~Anais Nin


If I did not risk, I would have never become the mother I am today.

A young woman, just-out-of-college, leaving the only place she had ever lived to go to an experience she had never dreamed of. Marriage and motherhood not on the mind, but I knew I had to follow Luke 9:23-25. And so, I went there.

I saw my husband the first night. I drove up the hilly neighborhood. He was there, getting out of his car--three year old daughter on his hip. Never did I think that he would be my life partner. And never did I think I would be a mother to his motherless little girl.

So I risked. I trusted God, but I risked---

Now we are married--with 4 children. If I did not risk--where would I be? Normally I dislike "what if" questions, but this deserves to be asked.

What happens if we don't risk? We don't trust God? How is staying tight in the comfortable bud going to stretch us to Him unless we do?

It is a scary thing, and there are lots of unknowns, but what blessings await you when you trust.


And he said to [them] all, If any [man] will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.
For what is a man advantaged, if he gain the whole world, and lose himself, or be cast away?

Luke 9:23-25

1 comment:

Kat said...

Hey Andrea,
It's me again, Kat! Just letting you know I'm really enjoying your writing...you express yourself so well! Oh and I also like the South, Country Home magazine, AND would love my husband to be a farmer too. He works long hours also (coupled with Atlanta traffic) and I am always dreaming of a simple, slow-paced life in the country! Give me some chickens, a front porch, and some country time lemonade, i say!