Thursday, September 07, 2006

Fear not

I've been doing this mothering thing long enough to know God speaks different ways through children.

Labor Day our family took a 2 1/2 mile hike together. At the end of the hike was a small reservoir, with a beautiful waterfall. As I stood watching the waterfall, I noticed not even 2 feet from me was this.

Can I tell you how fast I jumped away?

Dear husband tried to get it to move by throwing small pebbles in its direction. I was ready to leave.

Needless to say, this incident put a slight damper on my hiking the 1 1/2 mile back to the car. I remarked to my husband this.

Child number three, ever so perceptive she is, piped up:
"It's okay, mom, God is going to take care of us."

And it put me at ease.

I know the Bible speaks of countless times that we are to have faith like a child.

And says things like:

"Fear not, for I am with you,
be not dismayed, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help you,
I will uphold you with my victorious right hand."
~Isaiah 41:10

And, why does that verse not come to mind when I am fearful?

Well, it's because I've been doing this mothering thing long enough to know God sometimes speaks through children.

"Sons are a heritage from the Lord,
children a reward from him.
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are sons born in one's youth.
Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
They will not be put to shame
when they contend with their enemies in the gate."
~Psalm 127:3-5

What a gift.




1 comment:

L.L. Barkat said...

"Out of the mouths of babes and infants you have founded a bulwark because of your foes, to silence the enemy and the avenger." (Ps 8:2)

Thanks for this beautifully-written story, of how your "babe" silenced the foe of fear.