Sunday, September 17, 2006

The Sabbath

Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Exodus 20:8

I have recently become more aware of the significance of the Sabbath. Without going into a lot of detail, God has convicted me that I should do no work on the Sabbath besides cooking for my family and cleaning up the kitchen after the cooking. There are also basic work things like bathing and dressing my children and things like that, but that is just part of everyday life. I am talking about things like laundry, straightening the house, yardwork, things like that.

This year I realized the need of a Sabbath, a day of rest. My days are a whirlwind of activity; caring, schooling, feeding children, not to mention everything else that must be done. At night I am exhausted. I now see the purpose in the Lord's command of keeping the Sabbath holy. It is a day of rest, of recuperation. It should be kept that way.

Early in my marriage, I did laundry on Sundays. (Please don't ask me why. I was ambitious.)It wore me out and made me grumpy. Not a good way to spend a Sabbath.

Another thing the Lord has been speaking to me about is enjoying the Sabbath meal, or the Sunday dinner. I want to make this dinner a special time for my family. A careful, planned out meal, with good china and a set table. Not just ordering pizza or going to the sandwich place. I know it takes extra effort, but my family is worth it, and I am privileged to do it for them.

So, what is one way that you keep the Sabbath?

4 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

Oops! Yesterday, on the Sabbath, I planned a seminar called Grace at the Table, which I'll be presenting on Tuesday. I also made some little dehydrated date and nut snacks for it.

But, after that was done, I read for a really long time... all by myself... it was glorious. :)

Kat said...

Want to leave a comment...but busy. Do you want to host Train Up A Child Tuesday at your site?
I want to participate, but just don't have time...Hopefully someone will take it over but you're probably busy too! :-)

Loved your idea of special plates!

Katherine@Raising Five said...

You are talking to me - totally convicted on this front. We've removed grocery shopping from Sundays, but I still start the weekly laundry (my husband and I used to fold while watching football games early on in our marriage, so I guess that's just stuck!). I want to be more organized so this can happen in our home. We're working on it. Thanks for the encouragement!

Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm Mary Brooke in Atlanta, Mother of 3 littles...your posts mirror a lot of the meditations of my heart over the 5 years I've been a Mother....I've also learned a lot from Above Rubies although we love our PCA denomination and church. Keeping the Sabbath is important to us too....no shopping, no work...really *being together* and being available for my family (not running any errands) and being available to love others. I also love my things from small meadow press!