Thursday, October 19, 2006

Never say never

My mother says frequently, "Never say never."
And she's right, it's not good to say "never".
But it's a hard lesson to learn.

Oh, yes, I remember when I said things like,
"I will never have a child that throws a tantrum in the store like that child."

Oh, my. A big slice of humble pie, there.

or:

"I will never feed my child..."

or:

" I will never do..."
"I will never live a life like..."

"I will never..."
"I will never..."
"I will never..."

And how many times has God said--You can't say never. Even if you don't say it, you can't think it. (In those small, little, ways that we do.)

Your never is part of my plan. So don't tell me "never".

And, yet, I do, I still have "nevers" running around in my brain. But God (and my mother) like to tell me, "never say never". And I should listen.


3 comments:

Katherine@Raising Five said...

So true. That's why it's good to stay humble - then when those "nevers" come to pass, you don't fall so far down. There, but for the grace of God, go I.

L.L. Barkat said...

Oh, if that were all that runs around in my brain... "never" is just the tip of the iceberg. Fortunately, God is always in there either powerwashing or quietly sweeping the cobwebs aside. :)

Andrea said...

L.L.~
Me too. Loved how your put "powerwashing" and "sweeping cobwebs aside."

Katherine~
Yes, it's good to be humbled, even though we may not like it!