Thursday, October 26, 2006

One body, many parts

The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ. For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body--whether Jews or Greeks, slaves or free--and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.
~I Corinthians 12:12-13

The blogging world is incredible. When you think you've got it understood, it throws you for a loop. Someone just told me the other day that the president of Syria has a blog. Alrighty then.

But the thing about blogging is--Christian blogging, is that it shows the beautiful picture of One Body, Many Parts.

So many bloggers have so many talents, words of wisdom, practical advice, gifts, inspiration, and they are all different. Yes, there is talk of the same subject on many blog pages, but when someone gets ahold of a thought, and expresses it in their own way, then it becomes something entirely new in itself. Solomon did say, "there is nothing new under the sun." Eccl. 1:9

My intent on starting this blog was to find creative ways of expressing the everyday. Of course, in some ways, it has become more of an encourager to myself and to others, but that's ok, too.

Because, we, as mothers, need that encouragement. It's something I've been thinking about recently.

Last month, a "friend of a friend of my husband's" was at our home. He asked me, did I homeschool? Yes, I replied, waiting for the inevitable: I could never do that. But what did he say? That's cool. Wow. I wasn't expecting that. And it made me feel like--yeah, it IS cool. What I'm doing IS right. Now of course I knew that, but to have affirmation is so helpful.

I have read other non-Christian mother bloggers. Yes, some are encouraging, but lack the true spiritual aspect of mothering. Some are complaining fests. I could nod my head to a lot of it, but do I want to or need to?

Mothering is a hard job. It's not for wimps. The Bible says, Do everything without complaining or arguing. Everything? Yeah, that's what it says. So, why get into reading about how hard someone's day was wrestling the kids? Now, yes, I have hard days, and yes, I like to talk about them. But what I need afterwards is the Joy of the Lord. I need that person who I am talking to tell me--hey. What you are doing is kingdom work. It's like no other. What you are doing is special, and you can find the joy of it in the Lord.

And this community of Christian mother bloggers. It's been such an encouragment to me. We all need to build each other up. Directing one another to the Lord, telling each other what we are doing is good, giving practical advice, and sharing "secrets" of motherhood.

So, I'm thankful for you all who read, and for all those who I read, who may or may not read here! :)

And don't forget. Encourage each other. We all have a gift of something that we can share with other mothers.

If you read, drop me a line. If you lurk, drop me a line. Yes, I'm begging for comments. It's an encouragement--to me!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Andrea,
I haven't stopped by here in a while so I thought I would tonight. Love what you had to say.
Very thought provoking things about motherhood and how we should not complain. No one ever said it would be easy.:)
I don't care to admit it but I too have been craving a comment or two lately. It is encouraging to get feedback on what we have to say isn't it?
Anyway, you take care. I'll try to check in more often. :)

pauline said...

i am definitely a lurker from au and i love so many christian blogs (i have to limit myself as a mum of 3 under 4 otherwise i could spend all day here!! for encouragement of course!!) but it truly is a blessing to find other women with similar beliefs and aspirations of motherhood and to be encouraged in your work! at the end of the day it is wonderful to sit and read about others day and the interesting and wonderful or boring and wonderful things you all do and feel challenged and inspired and uplifted to continue! i know the word of the lord is good for that too! but hands on in the same place is nice too!
so thank you bloggers you do provide a family to us lurkers out here and the non lurkers and a huge blessing. my prayers for you in your daily lives and in your blogging! THANK YOU

L.L. Barkat said...

Love hearing about why you blog. :)

And, l am always encouraged by you. You have a quiet, wise simplicity that starts my day off just right.

Miriam said...

Andrea, this is such a good, true post. It *is* so cool to hear so many "flavors" of the Truth expressed by different people. I have also been thinking about how neat it is that through blogging we get to know folks from other Christian traditions and hear their voices in a personal way that we otherwise might not have. I've been reading some blogs of a few Catholic ladies lately (a tradition that's pretty different from my own) and feel a whole new appreciation for their spirituality. Just another way that Oneness in the Body is furthered.

I, too, love the "flavor" that you express in your blog!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your blog. I've been lurking occasionally for a while. I appreciate your thoughts in this post about not needing to read others' complaints; it can be so contagious! So I appreciate your thankful spirit, your idea that one can flourish as a mother!
Blessings,
jen

Anonymous said...

Encouraging, as always. I love coming here! Thanks for being so honest!

dorothy said...

andrea,
This post was so timely in more ways than one:) After having "one of those days", which are thankfully rare, it was great to get this nugget of encouragement from you, as always. Glad to no longer be lurking!

tonia said...

Very well said. After almost two years of blogging, I can absolutely affirm your wisdom in not reading certain blogs. If it makes me grouchy or discontent...not going there! even if it's a popular site.

Love your blog, Andrea.

A JoyFull Life said...

At this point of really just beginning on this mothering journey 6month and 2 years, I love hearing your wisdom and experience. Thank you for keeping sensitive to His leading. You have encouraged me!

Kat said...

Hey Andrea!

Just leaving you a word of encouragement...:-) Well you seem do such a wonderful job at managing your household and keeping up a blog! How do you do that with a little one? Thank you for your tips on organic shopping! I'm about to print it off to put in my permanant file of useful articles.

You are so right about the gifts of the Body. I've been asking the Lord to clarify my gifts as it relates to my time and even blogging. I think He may have me write notes to little old ladies in the church rather than the crazy thoughts about my cat. I can't even keep up a blog! :-) It is so amazing how the Lord gifts each of us and we need each other in that way...oh how I long for Heaven where we can all know each other more fully and sit at His beautiful feet.

Blessings for your day!
kat mama

Janel said...

I pop in occasionally.

I love things that get me to think. You provide that. Thanks Andrea.

Holly said...

Hey Andrea, I love your blog, too.

You make some very, very good points about the community of mother bloggers. :) Christian mothers, to be more precise. They are a huge encouragement to me. I guess I shouldn't need it at this point, but I still do. I still need to know that others are learning and growing and that I am right there with them. And yes, to be reminded of joy. THAT is the best!

Thanks for blogging!

mary brooke said...

Andrea,
I enjoy your blog. It is encouraging! from a Christian wife and mother of 3 littles in Atlanta (who is thrilled about a Charlotte Mason education at home). I pinch myself everyday, I am so thankful to be able to spend the days with our little children. They are a joy. Mary Brooke in Atlanta