Sunday, October 01, 2006

Running this marathon

I have never run a marathon before, but I certainly admire those who do. I can imagine it must get old and tiring after awhile, knowing that most every other day you are running/walking, perhaps not feeling like it, but knowing you must train in order to be successful. Why, the closet thing I've ever done to a marathon is three drug-free births. And I've heard people compare that to a marathon, for it is indeed hard work.

My husband was away for close to 9 days recently and I missed him. A lot of times I have this ideal that we must always be together, always be communicating correctly, always on the same page, but, really, I have started to see how a marriage is a lot about being apart, then coming closer together. It's the pursuing of other interests, being away from each other, that make the "coming together", so much sweeter. It's the starts and stops, the revisioning, and the realization of God's new mercies.

I'd like to think you could compare it to a marathon, the marriage life. Running the race, finding what works, learning new things about one another, seeing each other in a different light, oh, but needing each other to run that race, to urge one another on, that is key.

And this Christian life. It is indeed a race. Right now I feel like I'm climbing uphill. I feel tired and inadequate for the purpose He has called me to. But I'm comforted by Paul's words:

Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect; but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brethern, I do not consider that I have made it my own; but one thing I do, forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Let those of us who are mature be thus minded; and if in anything you are otherwise minded, God will reveal that also to you. Only let us hold true to what we have attained.
~Philippians 3: 12-16

4 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

I loved the little bit on marriage. We are watching so many marriages disintegrate before our eyes... it's so unsettling... a small violence not only to them but also to the Community of Christ.

On another note, why do you suppose you feel tired?

Andrea said...

L.L.

We should have a cup of coffee (or tea ) together to discuss all the reasons I am tired. ;)
There are so many reasons--and I am aware of the "whys" and how I can change them. Now....doing it, that's the hard part. :)

Janel said...

Tired? hmm let's see... Hormones, four children, homeschooling unresolved problems that you know the Lord will handle, but the when is grating on you... Yes, I relate. Sometimes tired is better, sometimes not. Each day has enough problems of its own.

God is good - hang in there! He provides and protects. Always. {Hugs} for the journey.

Andrea said...

Janel
You hit the nail on the head. :)
But I'm thankful for our Lord, He provides above and beyond what I could ever expect.
Thank you for the encouragement.