Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Simplification 101

One morning last week it was overcast and cloudy, and dark in my bedroom. You know, one of those days where, if you didn't have children, you could stay warm and covered up in your bed, all cozy-like. Or drinking your coffee, reading the morning paper or a novel--well... I'm dreaming.

But I was tired that morning, most likely from staying up too late--relishing the time to get things done, think, read, or blog without interupptions.

So I did the unthinkable thing that no homeschool mom ever does--(or does she?)

After the baby was down for his morning nap, and the other children were happily coloring downstairs, I got right back in my cozy spot, in one of my favorite places--my bed.

There's a lot of "internet buzz", or talk in general about striving for the "simple life"--the "good life". I'm all for it. My personality calls for it even, because I can't think with clutter, or too much busyness. If I can simplify it, I will, but I have to ask my husband first. ;)

And while we live in the Northeast, which, to me, is twice as busy as our "fast-paced world", it sometimes feels like a fight to go against the grain and live more simply and slowly. Why does lying in my bed feel like a "guilty pleasure"? It shouldn't. Sitting on my porch and watching my children play outside feels lazy. It shouldn't.

So, at this momment in our lives, my husband and I working toward and wanting a more simpler lifestyle. And I am praying. Cause it doesn't come easy, though it seems like it should. (A paradox of sorts?In this age, yes.) And while we can't make big changes, not yet; only through God's gentle leading, I can find the everyday simplicity, just by crawling back into bed for 30 minutes. (Now that sounds like a paradox!)

And I know that it's good. For when I got up from my 30 minute siesta, I felt rejuvenated, not tired, as I usually am, the rest of the day.

I'm constantly reminding myself that big things take time. The things that matter take time.

"Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of the sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, that yields its fruit in due season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers."
~Psalm 1:1-4

7 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

Ah, nice to hear you say this. I took a little nap sitting in our wingback chair this afternoon... while my kids played the piano and read books. It was lovely. :)

Emily said...

What a thoughtful post! Just last night, I finally gave into some wind-down time after I put the boys to bed. Lately, I've struggled with this guilty feeling of letting myself rest. Your post is encouragement.

Andrea, you had stopped by my blog, and unknowingly, I've been ignoring moderation of my comments. . . thank you for stopping by! I'm glad to have found your blog and will be visiting again!

Emily

Inihtar said...

You are so right. When our lives are busy, busy, busy, even sitting down quietly for a minute to BE STILL makes us feel guilty. Maybe the key IS a simpler life, where the occasional quietness and rest are woven into our lives, and it doesn't feel so alien and wrong.

Andrea said...

Ooh, inihtar, I like that. *Woven* into our lives. It's the way it should be.

Kat said...

Hey Andrea! This is something the Lord has been working on my heart also for the last 3 weeks...simplifying everything. Especially those things that distract me from Him.

I love to cozy up in my bed too. Just like a fat cat. I need to learn from diligenters like you who don't seem to do that quite as often even though it's the MOST enjoyable thing in the world. Next to chocolate and coffee, of course :-) Enjoyed the post!

Andrea said...

Kat~
Believe me, I could be very lazy if I didn't have 4 children! My children *force* me to be diligent. But I am not complaining. :)
However, sometimes it's just so nice to cozy up in bed!

tonia said...

mmmmm....I love an afternoon nap. :)

I haven't tried climbing back into bed, but that sounds heavenly! I'll have to try that next week.

Great post.