Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Training our daughters

Having three older daughters is a beautiful thing--for many reasons. One of the best things I like is that I have three built-in mamas for my younger one. The baby always gets babied with these three.

Overheard, talking to baby[in a bright, sing-song voice]:

"Eyes."
"Nose."
"Ears."
"Mouth."

Good. I don't have to teach him that one.

"Jesus loves me, this I know, for the Bible tells me so..."

Ah. I taught them well.

"You little cutie patootie, you are the cutest baby I have ever seen, I just wanna eat you!"

Yeah. Mama says that one quite a lot.

and, my favorite, said various times throughout the day, to me, or no one in particular:

".....[baby's name] is soooo cute!"

So, it's a good thing to have three older daughters. The mothering instinct kicks in real good, and they learn practical things like how to stop a crying baby, how to be patient with a baby, how to talk to a baby, so they can know these things when they become mommies themselves.

But the other day I was upstairs in my daughters' room, and I saw this:


and so I asked my 2nd daughter, "Why do you have a plastic bag on your baby's head?"

And she replied, "So she can't hear anything." :-/

Hmm. Now that's something I'll be glad to say I haven't taught her!!

3 comments:

Roberta said...

Oh my! ;) The other day my 3 yr. was carrying her dolly by the arm and as she walked past me she paused and said "My baby likes when I carry her like this."

L.L. Barkat said...

You'll really have to start worrying when they pull the dollies' heads off (we have a lot of headless dollies lurking here!).

A JoyFull Life said...

I have a 2 year old boy and a 6 month old girl and I try not to laugh when my boy, Tay, goes to his sister when she is crying saying, "its ok Jocey, its ok" while patting her on the head just a little too hard. Then he gives her a hug that would strangle anyone. I am going to have a much loved, tough little girl.