Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Waiting

I've been waiting on this pumpkin to ripen. It's a funny way it came to be. I had some pumpkin seeds to plant in the backyard in a specific place. However, at the bottom of my deck stairs, a vine began to flourish. I think the children must have dropped seeds there, accidentally, and it turned out to be a good spot for it to grow. Sadly, this is the only pumpkin that grew, even in the ones I did plant myself. But, you know, isn't that just how God works--some seeds take, some do not. He does the growth.

I'm waiting on this to ripen because my baby boy will be one year old on Halloween. We do not do the usual Halloween fare around here, but I did think it would be fun to make him a pumpkin cake for his birthday. So, I am hoping it ripens in time.

Waiting seems to be a theme in my life right now. I think it's one of the hardest parts of the Christian life. It's even harder in our culture today, when our culture promotes novelty, and a demand for instant gratification. You can choose, you are the master of your fate, you deserve a break today, you are worth it, obey your thirst. God's way is good, and it is right. Very rarely does He give instant gratification.

"Time can test almost anything and undoubtedly anyone. We sometimes obey God and go where we believe He is sending us. We're not altogether certain what we expected but after awhile we ascertain, 'This certainly can't be it.' In fact, obeying God can initially seem to get us into a bigger mess than we left. Sometimes that's part of the test. Have you ever thought, 'I may as well be an alien here?' Admittedly, tongue in cheek, that may be your first indication you're in the right place. We can be in the bulls-eye of God's will for our lives and things make utterly no sense until the ugly, five-letter word, later." ~ Beth Moore, "Believing God"

Jesus is a perfect example of waiting. He didn't do His first miracle until He was 30 years old. His ministry was three years. Just enough time.

I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. So neither He who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth. He who plants and he who waters are equal, and each shall receive his wages according to his labor. For we are fellow workers for God; you are God's field, God's building. ~I Corinthians 3: 6-10

Once that pumpkin gets ripe (I'm expecting it to in a couple more weeks), then I'll be sure to post pictures of the cake. Until then, I'll wait, expecting the harvest--if God gives the growth.

4 comments:

betsy said...

Another great post, Andrea. (You should publish these one day in a little novella about the flouring mother!) I'm in the waiting the game too...so often we find ourselves meditating on our "dream life" and forget that we should be meditating on the beautiful plans Christ has set before us. Because nothing could be more beautifu and real than our Lord!

L.L. Barkat said...

I like the thought about seeds... that we scatter many... some get planted deeper than others and still do not grow, some are accidental and bear plump fruit we never expected... it takes the burden off of us a little, and gives us hope

Andrea said...

Betsy~

Yep, waiting with you. :)
But I'm blessed to have you as an encouragement to me. Thanks.:)

L.L.~

Exactly. God does the growth, in all persons and circumstances.

plainandsimple said...

Hi Andrea
Gardening teaches patience, I think. BTW I'm a huge fan of Mary Cassatt, she's not that well known in Europe, but I love her work and it's nice seeing my favourites in your blog title.

Thanks for visitng my blog!