Monday, October 09, 2006

Yes, Let's! in homeschooling

I think it's important to have a "Yes, Let's!" kind of person in your life when you are homeschooling, as well.
One of my dearest friends here is that type of person. I can call her up and say, "Let's go bike riding!" or "Let's go to the nature center!" or whatever, and she will be up for it.

When you are homeschooling, it's easy to get burned out. It can be a lonely adventure. Having a friend who will take the day off and "unschool" with you can be just what you need to get a better perspective.

Speaking of a better perspective, re-reading "For The Children's Sake" by Susan Schaeffer Macauley will re-energize you for the homeschooling life. I highly recommend it, coupled alongside Elizabeth Prentiss' "Stepping Heavenward", at least once a year.

4 comments:

Jennifer Chapman said...

Ah, but schooling isn't found just within walls. A trip on a bike or to the nature center can definitely become more. Don't think of it as "unschool"; think of it as a field trip!

Jen

L.L. Barkat said...

What a blessing, to have a friend like that...

I've never read For the Children's Sake, but it sounds like a good suggestion... yes, let me!

Andrea said...

Jen--
Definitely!That's the beauty of homeschooling!

L.L.--I can't believe you haven't read it. It's what converted me!

Holly said...

I love both of those books! Definitely a good re read!