Saturday, November 25, 2006

Constant



This past week we were fortunate enough to be able to stay in a house that was right on the beach. My bedroom faced the water, and so, many mornings I was able to wake up and see the sun rising on the watery horizon. (I also had a morning of bliss where my husband brought me coffee in bed and I lounged there, drinking coffee and looking at the beach. Divine.)

Many times I looked at the waves, and one word played in my mind everytime I looked at them. The word was constant.

I can be assured of the things that are constant (more or less) in my life: the time my children awake, mealtimes, the time my husband gets home, bible study on Tuesday....and there are more, but I am reminded this past week that family is also constant. Constant and comfortable.

We gathered together at the beach, Thanksgiving week, as we have done many times when I was younger. Aunts, uncles, cousins. Family. It was a very satisfying and comfortable thing to watch and enjoy the "children's children" playing with each other.

And today, now that I am home, I felt a strong sense of blessing. No doubt the week on a beautiful seashore, spent with family was a blessing. But my life is a blessing, the trials are blessings, the joy is blessings, everything is blessings. Why would I or should I ever complain?

And His love. When I have nothing, His love is there and it is constant. When I have everything, it is there, and constant. May I never forget the image of the sea, its waves undulating, may it be a picture in my mind of the love of Christ, our God.

Hope you all had a joyous Thanksgiving. I did.

6 comments:

Miriam said...

What would we do without His constancy? Everything is a blessing... you have me ruminating.

Glad you had such a lovely Thanksgiving, and it's good to have you back blogging! :)

Anonymous said...

Andrea- Thanks for your beautiful words! They are very true. We enjoyed seeing you and your family over the Thanksgiving week.
Take care!
Ami

bluemountainmama said...

love your post, andrea. i haven't been to the beach in years!! sounds like a wonderful time. and there IS something about the ocean that is so inspiring and always reminds me of the awesomeness and greatness of God. i saw in your profile that you like bluegrass- you should check out my post about johnny staats and listen to the soundclip. he's an awesome mandolin player from our state. also, my sister homeschools using a charlotte mason approach. she also blogs about a lot of their learning adventures. her link is "motherskylark" under my links list. thought you might be interested!

Anonymous said...

I thank God for his constancy, because I am a roller coaster of emotion most of the time.

The waves...what a beautiful picture of His presence. His constance.

Thank you, Andrea.

Andrea said...

Miriam
thanks for the welcome back! :)

Ami
enjoyed it, too. thanks for commenting.

blue mountain
will check out the links--thanks!

Elise
Me too, me too. :)

Holly said...

Andrea - the beach for Thanksgiving??? HOW WONDERFUL! :) That's a family tradition that I want! :)