Wednesday, November 15, 2006

One Thousand Gifts

I thought it was fitting that I should come across this passage in John Piper's book Don't Waste Your Life, while I was putting together my "One thousand gifts" list.

[Ordinarily] Faith would mean trust or confidence you put in someone who has given good evidence of his reliablity and willingness and ability to provide what you need. But when Jesus Christ is the object of faith there is a twist. He himself is what we need. If we only trust Christ to give us gifts and not himself as the all-satisfying gift, then we do not trust him in a way that honors him as our treasure. We simply honor the gifts. They are what we really want, not him. So biblical faith in Jesus must mean that we trust him to give us what we need most--namely, himself. That means that faith itself must include at its essence a treasuring of Christ above all things.

And, so...a snippet of my list:

  • naps
  • overcast days
  • a biblically sound church
  • laughing
  • tickles
  • twinkling eyes of children
  • wedding memories
  • my husband's job
  • our home
  • God's living Word
  • chocolate
  • long, hot baths
  • hugs
  • my hands
  • my health
  • friends who have the same viewpoint as me
  • my children
  • my husband

I hope to evoke a spirit of thankfulness and contentment with all of God's blessings/gifts in my life. And without Him, I would not have these gifts. He is the gift.

4 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

I was just thinking about this last night, when I was reading the beginning of Mark...about how the whole city lined up for Jesus' healing touch. They wanted the gifts, and he was generous to give them, but I wondered if they wanted Him. And I wondered what I want.

bluemountainmama said...

it's easy to get offtrack and focus on the gifts and not the Giver. i really like that passage- food for thought. and your list includes some of my favorite things, also.

Jennifer said...

Oh, but you should also appreciate friends who DON'T have your same viewpoints. In my opinion, it can either strengthen your own, or it can give you a chance to change minds. :)

Andrea said...

Jennifer
yes,love the other side of *that* coin as well. :)