Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Simply practical

What I'm about to write is nothing new, but I hope to re-package it and hand it to you in a way that makes it practical and inspirational.

You need to remain home for long stretches of time in order to go beyond the urgent or simple maintenence, in order to be creative. ~Karey Swan "Hearth and Home"

One way to simplify your life is just simply stay at home. When making my schedule
this fall, I purposely set aside only two days of the week where we go out. Obviously, this saves on gas, and on frustrated mommies. I don't have to say how long it takes to get more than one child out the door, or how long it takes for a tired mom(with tired children) to get dinner ready.

But, I like what Karey says. Staying home gives us more time to get done with the chores and the maintenence, and be creative.

However, give yourself some grace. Find a "Yes, let's!" kind of a person to shake things up every now and then.

But...stay at home. It simplifies things.

Stay, stay at home, my heart, and rest;
Home-keeping hearts are happiest,
For those that wander they know not where
Are full of trouble and full of care;
To stay at home is best.

Weary and homesick and distressed,
They wander east, they wander west,
And are baffled and beaten and blown about
By the winds of the wilderness of doubt;
To stay at home is best.

Then stay at home, my heart, and rest;
The bird is safest in its nest;
O'er all that flutter their wings and fly
A hawk is hovering in the sky;
To stay at home is best.

~Longfellow

9 comments:

The NON Superwoman said...

I just stumbled across your blog recently. Lovely thoughts! And I just had to say amen and amen to this entry. I have a lot of "Yes, let's!" kind of people to shake things, so staying at home can sometimes be a challenge--but it's really where I'd rather be. Thank you for this beautiful confirmation!

Miriam said...

What an encouraging post, Andrea, and a beautiful poem, as well. I struggle with feeling quilty for staying home a lot, but these days, getting out with the kiddos just isn't happening much! So, it was very timely for me to read this.

By the way, last night I made the chicken cacciatore recipe you posted a while back... it was *so* yummy!

Kat said...

I really like the poem. Ah, home. I love being at home...it is the best within my nest.

bluemountainmama said...

i'm starting to agree with this as i get older... i used to have a lot of "wanderlust" and liked to get out and about lots. but it's true about the being creative part. and it seems less stressful for my son too- not to be on the go all the time. like the words to one of my favorite folk songs.. "hearth and fire be yours tonight, and all the dark outside. Fair the night and kind on you, wherever you might bide. "

L.L. Barkat said...

Yes, this is what I've also come to. This year I only have one social day out during the week. The other day out is for lessons, but I scheduled them all around the same time so I can go to the library with one child while the other is at the piano or violin. My life has come back into view.

Anonymous said...

Preach it, sister! :)

I find my children are so much more at ease when I haven't been dragging them all over the place, and don't even get me started on trying to get dinner on and keep up with the laundry when we've been on a trek. Living out in the boonies really helps, although every few months I really feel the desire to get out.

I posted this poem on my blog awhile back, too - great minds!

Good words, Andrea!

Andrea said...

Superwoman--
welcome!Thanks for delurking! I love to know whose reading!

Miriam--
Glad you enjoyed the chicken! That's another reason I stay home--so I can feed my family with healthy foods--otherwise, it's pizza night!

Kat--glad you liked the poem!

Bluemountain and Elise--
That's why I mentioned "grace" here. Yes, we all need to get out, but making it part of our lives makes our lives crazy!!

L.L.--sounds like you got a good thing going! Wish I could have my out days as co-ordinated as that!

Holly said...

Andrea, I agree. Really, I do. :)

(But I'm getting grumpy because we've been "in" due to illness for about a month. I feel like a pasty white, withered, leprous refugee who NEEDS the sunlight from other people.) :)

There. Wasn't that dramatic of me? :) Just thought I'd be strange.

Katherine@Raising Five said...

So with you on this. I became a homebody when my older ones were small and I realized it wasn't worth the "penalty" I'd have to pay from missed naps and messed up schedules. We all do better with some routine...of course, laundry alone keeps me home the better part of three days! It is harder the older the big kids get, though, especially evenings. Our younger ones are quite "flexible!"