Thursday, November 02, 2006

Time wasters, God takers

You know, you can always tell when the Lord is trying to tell you something. Yes, you know it. You're thinking about it, when you read the word--it's there, you read something on the internet (or wherever)--it's there, someone says something about it--it's there. So, when that happens, I just have to surrender to it.

So, this time it's about time wasters. The usual suspects: T.V. and computer. And what else? Reading books. Yes. The intellectual's time waster. Hobbies, telephone, magazines, music. Whatever you do to avoid work, or more importantly, to avoid communion with God.

We were made to glorify God and enjoy him forever. It's no secret the Christian's mind should be continually on Christ. I became a Christian at age 12, but did not fully understand living my life for Christ until I was around 20 years old. I did not know what to do. So, I read my Bible, and I forced myself to think about Christ. Driving down the road: Christ made these trees. Wherever I was, I tied it into Christ. It made me spirtually minded.

And, so, just last night, I was led to this article. If you have never read anything by John Piper, then here is a good place to start.

Once again, I feel like I am crawling a rock wall when it comes to living counter-culturely for Christ. We can't argue the wealth (should I use the word wealth?) of time-wasters in our society. Plain and simple, they are diversions that keep us from what we were made for: glorifying God in all that we do, and hearing that "still, quiet voice." I'll be the first to admit I'm guilty. But being aware is the first step to pursuing those worthwhile things in life.

So, if you'll excuse me, I'm signing off the computer to set my mind (and actions) on things above.

4 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

Ah, fortunately for us, the rock wall hosts life too... which is so amazing to me... hope you have a good day growing into the quiet.

Blessings...

Miriam said...

Andrea, I read that article last night also and was so struck by it (came across it at AHM). I, too, must grow in this and am thinking of some things to lay aside.

Anonymous said...

This is QUITE convicting!! It is exactly as you say- when the Lord is trying to get you to listen, it shows up in all areas- even a blog that I happen to stumble across!!

Thank you for letting the Lord use you!

His,
Mrs. U

At A Hen's Pace said...

Hi--thanks for stopping by today!

I too find it a struggle to keep the time wasters in their place (the computer mainly).

I love your Mary Cassatt header!! She's my favorite.