Monday, November 27, 2006

Winter salad



My husband mentioned to me recently that he was tired of our salads. So I created this yummy one.

Baby spinach leaves, crisp pears sliced thinly, dried cranberries, and toasted walnuts. I also like to put gorgonzola cheese on mine, though other members of my family do without, and enjoy it just fine.

Tonight I used dried cranberries, but last night when I made it, I used pomegranate seeds. I like both equally. Husband likes the pomegranate better.

I make a simple balsamic vinagrette, and coat the salad lightly. Yummy!

Oh, yes, and make sure you put lots of freshly ground sea salt and pepper on it!

9 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

This is the very salad we've been eating for the last several weeks! But I've been using escarole. It's less expensive right now... I suspect it must be more "in season" than spinach.

bluemountainmama said...

looks very yummy! i love fruit in salad. although my hubby's the opposite- he doesn't like me to mess with the traditional salad. so i always make up separate ones.

LZ Blogger said...

Sounds GREAT and LOOKS good too! ~ jb///

Anonymous said...

Pomegranate seeds are something I need to try! I love food that tastes good and is healthy. . . I'm going to make your salad with the pomegranate - just hope the grocery store has them!

that salad looks yum

Emily

tonia said...

Oh, that looks delicious! Gorgeous photo. Thanks for the inspiration to perk up our winter side dishes.

Anonymous said...

Um...YUMMY!

Bethany said...

It looks delicious! Going to have to try it!

Anna said...

Pomegranate seeds? Please inform me...I have pomegranates,.. so you just open them up and take out the seeds{carefully as not to get squirted!}..and use them as is on the salad? I never thought of that. I make jelly out of them.

Andrea said...

Anna
yes.
the trick is to cut it open, and put the halved pomegranates underwater while you get the seeds out. This cuts out on getting squrited, and the pulp rises to the top, while the seeds go to the bottom.

Yes, I put them on the salad, just as you would the dried cranberries.