Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Aspiring

I only wish that I had all of the qualities of a Proverbs 31 woman. Sometimes that passage is hard for me to read because I see so many areas in which I'm lacking. But it helps to remember that the Proverbs 31 woman is an ideal. And there is nothing wrong with having an ideal, as long as Jesus is our first and foremost ideal.

In the thoroughs of motherhood, it's easy to get caught up in these Proverbs 31 ideals--as a mother, and a wife. They are good ideals, and only with the mercy and grace of our Savior can we aspire to these ideals.

But while Proverbs 31 seems to speak mainly to mothers who have their children at home,(though I know it's not solely for young mothers) something tells me we young mothers with children at home shouldn't overlook Titus 2 for Proverbs 31.

Titus 2:3-5 says this:

"Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands so that no one will malign the word of God."

It speaks directly to the older women. These older women are to "teach what is good." How do they know how to do this? One way is practicing the Proverbs 31 model in their lives.

But, also, shouldn't we--as young mothers and wives--be trying to emulate--and looking forward to-- trying to be a Titus 2 woman? Taking mental notes--I wish I had someone to teach me how to...--how to handle a discipline problem...--etc.

Granted, I have found many Titus 2 models in my own life in various ways, including the internet. But never a true mentor who has taken me on as her ministry--guiding me. I've caught Titus 2 in spurts, but never that way.

And I'm not complaining about that, it's just that I believe our generation needs to start looking forward to that day when we will be that Titus 2 woman. Anticipating that role and preparing for it in our own life by aspiring to the Proverbs 31 ideal but also in conjunction with the Titus 2 model.

Let's be mindful of what we are to become--to our children--to their children--or--to young women in the church. Proverbs 31 is a good aspiration, but so is Titus 2.


Kristi has a very good practical post, where it gives a beautiful example of an older woman in her church being a Titus 2 woman.

5 comments:

Kathie said...

I read the book "Power of a Praying Wife" by Stormie Omartian and it spoke about having a prayer partner, someone we could go to and share things with, and pray for our husbands and families with. This could be the Titus 2 woman you mention. But like you, I've found it difficult to find that particular person. I've tried but most of the women I approached, whom I felt could be my mentor and prayer partner, were already very busy doing the same for others. And yet I can't help thinking I'm being groomed for exactly that role - by the church I'm attending, by the things that God is teaching me and through life experiences.

bluemountainmama said...

i'm with you, andrea, i have also had bits and pieces of older women as mentors, but not a steady one who's been vested in me. although my mom is probably as much of one as any, and i'm very grateful for her and her example. i wish i could live closer to her during these "child-rearing" years. i think WE can even be titus 2 women now, to older teenage girls and young women, or young moms just starting out.

L.L. Barkat said...

Once, I read this article in Today's Christian Woman about a fairly young, popular bible teaching woman... I loved what she said about this... Anytime you're with a woman who's younger than you, you're the older woman! Not to take away from your point, but it made me think that I must always be ready to be on both sides of Titus 2.

Andrea said...

L.L.~

Exactly. That's what I was saying. You didn't take away from my point, you added to it. :)

Blue mountain~

I have had many wonderful mentors, including my mother. I wish she lived closer, too. :)

Kathie~

That is so exciting. I want to be "groomed" for that position,too. Thanks for your comment. :)

Anonymous said...

I love this post.
I've thought of this many times, as there were a lot of teens in our last church who grew into college girls while we were there. Our relationship was built while my husband was the youth minister, and carried over into those college years. These girls call me, visit me, and confide in me, even now, 100 miles away. I suppose this is my chance to practice my Titus 2 modeling!
I like how you mentioned taking mental notes - and using them in our future mentoring. My mama is my Titus 2 mentor, and yet there are still things I'm learning on my own that would have been helpful to be guided through.
Food for thought for me, today!
Thanks Andrea!