Tuesday, December 05, 2006

A Christmas tradition


Have you ever read this short story: "The Gift of the Magi" by O. Henry?
It is one of my favorite Christmas stories.

I happened to find this beautifully illustrated version in the bookstore, and bought it for our Christmas book collection this year. One thing we do every year is buy one or two Christmas books for our Christmas book collection. I pack them away with the Christmas decorations and only bring them out for the holidays. My children spend so much time looking through the "new" books, along with "discovering" their Christmas ornaments they haven't seen in a year.

"The Gift of the Magi" focuses on self-sacrifical giving. Giving with thought, and with pleasure. I don't want to give the plot away, but if you haven't read it, you should.


The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry. Illustrated by Lisbeth Zwerger

7 comments:

Dorothy said...

Oh, Andrea, I just love that story, too. It's just come out of our attic with the Christmas collection which my girls are loving. Several years ago, when I worked in the city, my dad came in to visit and have lunch with me. We ate at an old tavern and sat in the booth where O. Henry had written portions of that story. My dad bought me an illustrated version for Christmas. I'll always treasure it with my memories of that day!

Miriam said...

I love the story also! Such a classic. The version you got looks beautiful. I think I'll have to track it down for my children to enjoy. :)

L.L. Barkat said...

I like the idea of bringing the books out once a year... anticipation for the special stories of Christmas.

Anonymous said...

We do the same exact thing - buy a new Christmas book every year, and bring them all out when the tree goes up.
Our favorite is a big Norman Rockwell Christmas book - all of his illustrations with lots of stories, poems and recipes - including "The Gift of the Magi", a Christmas staple.
It is indeed a beautiful story.

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite stories ever - such a great illustration of love! We have a couple copies of this story, but I almost bought this exact one last week; it is beautiful.
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea! I happened to be online right after you posted a comment on my blog... I will definitely be coming back to yours as well! It never ceases to amaze me how God is working in the minds of Christians in so many of the same ways at the same times... I was blown away by how God was putting the same lessons in our hearts on the same day (Thurs. Nov. 30th)! Wow, that's neat. Thanks for blessing me today. God bless you :)

bluemountainmama said...

that was one of my favorite books growing up! we had that same tradition growing up, of having special christmas books that only were brought out at christmastime. and i am carrying that on with my son. you're right, it's like a brand new book to them each year! i'm going to read the charles dickens version of "the christmas carol" this year with my son, and then watch the video- we'll see if my "almost 5-year old" will last through the whole book and the older English that it's written in. but i prefer that rather than the "children's" version of classics.