Saturday, December 30, 2006

The details

A dear friend who reads here commented to me that she enjoys the way I seem to savour the details of life. I don't know if I've always done it, or if its just a recent thing, but I do know I do it.

It seems only natural with children that one would learn to see more of the details of life. I can attest to this.

Yesterday, I was running more errands. In the drive-through at the bank, my second daughter piped up in the backseat:

"Oh, Mom, do you hear those little birdies?"

Evidently, some birds were in a little nest in the bank's roof, or near us, but I didn't hear them. But I noticed that she noticed them.

Later, in the grocery store, we passed a display of fresh flowers. "Wow!" my wide-eyed daughter said. And she proceeded to stop and smell the proverbial roses. (Actually, they were carnations, but who cares? She stopped and smelled them.)

It's very easy to notice the details of life when you have children, because they do.

I suppose it's also because they grow up so fast...I don't want to miss a single minute. I want to savour them.

When life is looked at detail by detail, it makes it easier to see how everything we do is for the glory of God. Every action, every word...(ouch)...everything. It also allows us to see our gifts that we have been generously given by our Lord and Saviour. When we slow down,it's easier to see these things.

Although I did not reach 1000 in my 1000 gifts exercise; mentally, I keep a list.

I notice them in the everyday, in the little things I do, and in the big. It's become part of my thoughts.

I am realizing there are much, much, more than 1000 gifts that I have been given.

And the details. Don't forget about the details.

If you are interested in going deeper in the details, check out this website on snow crystals. I am amazed at the detail in which our Lord created us and His world. We were made to look at the details, just as He does.

4 comments:

Miriam said...

Andrea, I too am so grateful for how my children open my eyes to all the little beauties of life that I could miss if they weren't by my side. The Lord has so much to teach us through the little ones!

Elise said...

Oh, I love this post! Andrea, you have such a wonderful way of seeing things - it inspires me!
Especially the part about the details - I've noticed that the most during the 1,000 gifts months. Seeing things through my children's eyes gives me SO much more to work with!
I linked to you from my latest post, because I loved what you wrote so much.
And p.s. - My friend bought me "Parables of a Country Parson" for Christmas! I've devoured it already.

Roberta said...

Thanks Andrea, for the link about the snow crystals. We love the book Snowflake Bentley and what a perfect time of year to read and learn more about God's creativity and beauty.
Happy New Year. :)

Sara said...

This is something I've been thinking about a lot lately, especially with our change in scenery. It's amazing how all those little details just pop out at you when they are brand new (i.e. Mountains!).

You are right...having a child is the ultimate in simple gifts "noticing". I love going on a walk with Bella...she can get completely lost in one leaf...one acorn and the splendor of a mighty tree.

Jesus loved children so much and I always have to remind myself that he told us that to have faith we must be like them. What a wonderful thing to strive for.