Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Back to reality

There is no other time of year like the holidays. No other week in the year where my husband gets close to a week off, and gets to stay home with us, without worrying if he is leaving behind work. It doesn't matter, because everyone else is, too.

We get a few days of Thanksgiving to enjoy with him, and usually a week in the summer, but summer vacation consists of going and doing, so it's a different kind of relaxing than the holidays.

Usually during the Christmas/New Year holidays we try to stay at home. No traveling, no going anywhere. At this time in my life, it makes things easier, and simpler. Christmas Eve I miss my family down South terribly, but come Christmas Day I am thankful we chose to stay home.

This year our Christmas was quiet and relaxing. Today I'm back to reality, though, but still have those "feel good honeymoon" type of feelings, if you know what I mean.

Some fun things we did:

~saw Christmas lights at the Bronx Zoo (the night was mild, and we all enjoyed a nice walk. We saw real reindeer!)
~saw "Radio City Christmas Show". I recommend it. They actually have a live Nativity at the end, which moved me.
~saw "Charlotte's Web". Cute movie. Not as good as the book, of course, but well done.
~had a "Camp-in". Made a tent, had a fire indoors, made s'mores, and listened to "Winnie-the-pooh". Very fun.
~invited families over for New Year's Eve and had a noisy, fun time


So, I come into the New Year feeling blessed for our time, this unique week of the year.

A good way to start the year.

4 comments:

Elise said...

I'm definitely with you on not wanting to travel for the holidays. We live an hour and a half from our families, close enough to have to go, far enough that we have to pack and it's quite the ordeal to get out of the house around naps and nursings, etc.
I love the way you stayed home but stayed TOGETHER. Doing things that are going to be imprinted for life on your children's hearts. A camp-in? How lovely! As you said, a good way to start the year.

tonia said...

My hubby was home for the week between Christmas and New years...and you're right...there's no other time like it. We were relaxed and silly and having fun. sigh...what a beautiful way to start out the new year.

Looking forward to a great new year!

L.L. Barkat said...

Sounds dreamy, and joyful.

I have to say that I feel joyful too this year, even after the "coming down" from Christmas. And this is an answered prayer... joy has always been elusive for me, and I've been asking God to teach me how to find it, hold it. So, like I said, an answer to prayer.

Michelle said...

Just surfed in from your link at Seedlings in Stone. I'm looking forward to reading more.

Michelle