Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Ever present help

This afternoon I had an experience that's not fun for a mom.

Mama left her hot tea on the coffee table for just a second, turned away, and baby had his hand in the tea.

Needless to say, it was scary and traumatic--for me and him.

Thankfully, we were able to get to the pediatrician's, diagnose it as a second degree burn, (poor baby had blisters all over his fingers) and get it taken care of.

That was the longest ride I have ever taken to the doctor's office. I endured it mostly by singing loudly to him, "Jesus Loves the Little Children."

He is well, and sleeping now, but will have a "boxer's glove" bandage on his hand for awhile. Thank goodness he sucks both thumbs, and doesn't prefer one over the other!

Two verses are singing to me tonight:

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in times of trouble. Psalm 46:1

and the one hanging above my kitchen sink--I know it well:

The Lord is righteous in all His ways
And kind in all His works.
The Lord is near to all who call on Him,
To all who call on Him in truth.
He fulfills the desire of those who fear him
He also hears their cry and saves them.

~Psalm 145:17-19

Please pray for my little one--for comfort and healing--and don't forget the thanks to Him....yes, the thanks.

11 comments:

Miriam said...

Oh, (((Andrea))), yes I'll pray. I'll pray for speedy and smooth healing for your little man. I'm thankful for the grace and peace that the Father's given you to show forth. I love that you sang to your son all the way to the hospital. Peace!

Elise said...

Oh, the ache that mama's have to feel. I'm so sorry - and so thankful that it wasn't worse - like over his whole little body.
I am praying, friend. For peaceful sleep, for healed hearts and minds.

L.L. Barkat said...

Andrea, this is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry he is hurt, you are hurt.

Kendra said...

There are few things more difficult for a mother than children's accidents which are partially our fault. I know that I have experienced the same awful feelings on more than one occasion.
I recently heard a sermon about the key to God's peace being thankfulness - it is so true.
May Christ's peace be with you and your sweet little one.

Christine said...

Andrea! I know just how that feels and wish I could give you a hug! Praise God that your little one is alright. He won't remember, though you'll never forget. Those forgetful mommy moments are so hard. I'll pray for his little hand to heal quickly!

bluemountainmama said...

i just said a prayer for quick recovery and healing- there's nothing more traumatic, in my book, than seeing my child hurting.

dorothy said...

Andrea,
I'll be praying for a quick healing for your sweet little boy's hand. Praise God for the protection He gave! Your peace is an encouragement.

Sara said...

Oh mama....I know how it feels. I can totally relate to the "longest car ride ever" to the doctor. Bella burned her hand when she was 1 on a humidifier and she had 2nd and 3rd degree burns that required a year of physical therapy and reconstructive surgery. It was a horrible time...but God was there. He knows all and is there through it. Don't blame yourself...even though it's hard not to. The child gets over it so fast...their little bodies heal so quickly. Praying for you!

Andrea said...

You all are so wonderful to be praying for my little one.
He is doing great. Cranky, but great. :)
The burns are a "mild second degree" and the doctor expects them to heal very well with no complications.

I am mostly just thankful it is nothing worse. I know accidents happen, and beyond that I know my Lord is in control. So I am very thankful for that.

Thank you all again!

tonia said...

thanking and praying right now...

Kat said...

Andrea, I read this earlier (just now getting around to commenting) and have said prayers for your sweet baby. Is he better?

I never thought about having coffee/tea around...I'll know to watch this from now on too. Like I said, I pray he's better :)