Thursday, January 18, 2007

My girl

My oldest has been with me since the very beginning of my life with my husband. She made me yearn for motherhood, she made me die to myself. I accepted the call of Jesus in Luke 9:23-25 when I made the choice to be her mother.

She's seen me struggle the most. She's probably seen my sinful nature the most. She's been there to see me work out the kinks of becoming a new mother and a new wife at the same time. I sure hope God gives me a lot of grace in that area.

I'll never forget the day when I adopted her and I found out that my name would be on her new birth certificate as her mother. I didn't need a piece of paper to say I was her mother, but it was nice to have.

And, before that, the day my husband and I returned from our honeymoon.

After the cheerful reunion, my new daughter was sitting in our backseat, legs dangling, hands coloring.

I don't remember the conversation, but I remember her new word to me: "Mommy".

It seems she had been waiting for the "deal to be sealed" to call me "Mom". My heart warmed. This was my girl.

Today, her being my daughter is as natural as if I had birthed her. And I suppose I did go through the "pains of childbirth" with her...in different ways. God used her to sanctify me...and still does. And I'm glad.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have done a great job and I am so Very, Very Proud of You.

dorothy said...

You brought tears to my eyes with that one. What a beautiful way to describe your becoming her mother. Some day she should really read those words. I pray for her often!

Jennifer said...

These words are blessings, Andrea.

Did something special happen to spark this line of thought?

Jenn

tonia said...

Yes, I remember when our son's new birth certificate came in the mail...it hit me hard...just like when God adopts us, He changes our names and erases the past. Oh what a treasure.

Thanks for the little reminder of grace and beauty.

bluemountainmama said...

what a beautiful post and beautiful way to become a mother. we are hoping to foster and adopt one day...not quite the same as your situation, but just one of the unique and blessed ways God creates families. i love the verse saying "He will place the lonely in families..."

YFA said...

And she is such a blessing to be around.Great job you and her dad have done.Great tribute to her.

Elise said...

Oh, is she ever blessed. And you as well.
I've been wanting to hear more about this since your meme hinted at it, and I saw a comment you left at Holly's - what a beautiful story!

Miriam said...

Yes, it is so neat to read more of the story! And yes, she is very blessed in who God gave her for a mama. :) Thank you for sharing.

Kendra said...

What a gift you must be to her, and what a precious memory of the first time you were called "Mommy."

Holly said...

Beautiful, Andrea. Just beautiful! She is blessed, and so are you!

Katherine@Raising Five said...

Oh, I am just crying over here. That is so beautiful. Receiving your name. It's such a God kind of thing, precious beyond measure.