Saturday, January 27, 2007

Progress not perfection

Progress, not perfection.

This is a lesson that needs to be learned again, again, and again in our daily lives.

But we rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perserverance, perserverance, character; and character, hope. Romans 5:3

Recently, I have begun to take up knitting. By nature, I am not a "crafty" person. I tend to like things done immediately, where I can see the results. Of course, motherhood has taught me a different lesson in regards to that! I am creative in other ways, but when it comes to slow, tedious, processes in crafts, I struggle. I want a finished product, and I want it now. That's why I am a good house cleaner, a good organizer. (But, come to think of it, motherhood has taught me a different lesson in regards to that!)

So, tediously, I'm learning the stitches in knitting. And the finished product is not immediate. It's given me time to reflect on my knitting...and my life.

  • Knitting takes time. A poncho is not made in five minutes. I must persevere if I want (dare I say it?) the "character" of my piece done. But I look at my three "tools" to help and guide me.
  • There are many different ways to knit. Many different stiches and casts on that make the finished product. I must remember that. I am not like my fellow sister and cannot compare myself to her.

I am sure if I were a more experienced knitter then I would have more comparisons to write about! For now, that is all.

But what's most important is who I'm making it for. Though I am only a novice knitter, I do know that my daughter is going to receive her poncho from me, with grace, overlooking the faults. She will wear it proudly. Like my heavenly Father receives the gifts I create daily, my daily offerings to Him.

So, I am progressing, even though my knitting is not perfect.

"This life is not a state of being righteous, but rather a growth of righteousness; not a state of being healthy, but a period of healing; not a state of being, but becoming; not a state of rest, but of exercise and activity. We are not yet what we shall be, but we grow toward it; The process is not yet finished, but it is still going on; This life is not the end, it is the way to a better. All does not yet shine with glory;nevertheless, all is being purified."

~Martin Luther


Holly urges us mommies to realize this very lesson. We are all a progress and should not expect perfection. Read it here.

6 comments:

Anna said...

I feel I need to be an embodiment of that verse in the beginning.

Sometimes since we are so far from home I dwell only on the sufferings and the cost of being here with my family. This was a good reminder that I need to be joyful in the fact that I am dying daily...and while it is painful, my Savior is molding me into someone new...hopefully someone like Him.

Thanks for that post!

bluemountainmama said...

good reminder, andrea. and i can relate to you....i am not a "crafty" person either. and i often compare myself to my VERY crafty sister and mom. i tend to start things with good intentions and not finish, due to boredom or impatience.

Elise said...

Boy, have you ever been a fly on the wall of my house this week!
As the grace rolls in, and I find myself letting go of things the 19-year-old bride would NEVER have stood for, I sense that there is a refining going on.
And it is a paradox - letting go of perfection and focusing on other areas, pushes us along into the refining He wills for us - or perfection.
Great post, Andrea!

Holly said...

Absolutely, Andrea! And somedays...we must even believe that progress is happening when it doesn't seem like it, or feel like it, or look like it!

Now. I want to learn how to knit. That is one type of "craft" that I do not do! I crochet - do all of the other things...but can't knit. Good for you in trying something new! Someday, I shall try it too! :)

dorothy said...

Great quote from Martin Luther. Thanks for sharing it. I can't wait to see your work! I'm a crocheter, looking forward to knitting someday, but it's definitely a discipline at times to stick to it when it gets tricky!

My most prized crochet project is a blanket I made for my youngest. I sent it to her while she was with her foster mom and when we brought her home, it came home with her. She sleeps with it every night and will have it as a symbol of our love for her before we had even met her, forever! Hang in there with the poncho. Maybe your granddaughters will wear it someday:)

Andrea said...

Dorothy
That is so special! I have actually heard of groups that get together and knit "prayer shawls". They knit and while knitting, pray for whoever will get the shawl. (the shawl is given to needy.) I kind of took the idea myself, and as I am knitting this poncho, am praying for the daughter who will wear it.

And ladies, I am really enjoying seeing the fruit of my labor, so to speak, when it comes to knitting! I want to discipline myself to do it, even if it gets hard or boring!!