Monday, January 01, 2007

Resolute, yet satisfied

The New Year here in the Northeast starts out rainy and overcast.

And I'd rather be in my cozy bed, finishing up Jane Eyre, then taking a nap.

Or redoing my blog.

But I've lots to do today.

Things like 1. Take down the Christmas decorations, 2. Put our books on a new bookshelf we bought, 3. Conquer Mt. Laundry, and 4. Prepare our annual New Year's dinner of black-eyed peas, cornbread, and some type of greens.

Now, if you don't know by now, I am one of "those" who likes to make New Year's resolutions. I appreciate the clean slate (or new mercies), and the organization of it all. And my resolutions are usually around the same every year: exercise more, read my Bible more, go to bed earlier. Unfortunately, they haven't stuck as well as I would have liked.

So, here I go again, with my lists. This year, my list is longer than usual. (I have it mentally in my head, but have not listed it on paper....yet.)

Things like:

~budget better--in order to save more, in order to give more
~exercise more--(there, I've written it, I must do it!)
~implementing my own Morning Time

And I've got lots more, but I think I might (and you might) be overwhelmed with all I expect to do with myself this year!

So what I want to do is narrow it down to the essentials.

Let's face it, most resolutions are right, and they are good. But they are fleeting, and fleshly. I know this, yet I keep making these resolutions.

Which goes to my beginning statement. I would rather be in my bed, reading, and avoiding the chores I know need to be done.

Perhaps, somewhat like, I would rather be following my list of resolutions, not focusing on what will truly make me satisfied, and whole.

Therefore, do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration, or a Sabbath day. These were a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.
Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you for the prize. Such a person goes into great detail about what he has seen, and his unspiritual mind puffs him up with idle notions. He has lost connection with the Head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow.
~Colossians 2:16-19

I know this year I want to be satisfied in Him, and Him alone. I do not want to be waiting on "this or that" to happen to be satisfied, or to be doing "this or that" to bring satisfaction. It's all for Him, anyway, and without Him it's meaningless.

I'm not going to throw away my resolutions, but I want to be resolute in them, yet satisfied in the one, true, thing that will ultimately make me satisfied, not a fleeting pleasure that some of my resolutions will hold.

For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. ~I Corinthians 3:11

I want to post more on my resolutions this week, if possible. I am adding this link that has some good thoughts. Happy New Year!

3 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

Being "satisfied," in the moment... that's a resolution to long after...

Did you see Charlotte's Web? It is a wonderful movie, and good for thinking about the little gifts that are in our hands each and every day... so much to be satisfied with in this world.

Elise said...

Being satisfied in Him - everything else would just fall into place, I think.
Great words, Andrea. I can never really pinpoint (much) of what I want to work on - I'm pretty much always resolving to work on things. I like the idea of focusing in this year.
Can't I read Jane Eyre AND work on my resolutions? :)

Andrea said...

L.L.
Yes! We actually saw it the day after Christmas. Daddy had been reading it to the girls before bed and we finished it up in time to go see the movie after it was read. And, yes, I liked that song at the end.

Elise
Teehee!
I am too...always resolving to work on things. That's why I like the New YEar, it pinpoints a day for me to "begin anew", so to speak.
Yes, I think we can read JE And also work on resolutions! :) For myself, I was just saying I tend to focus on the resolutions, and leave out what I *really* should be satisfied in..not the "Things" I can do to better myself, or my family, or the world, etc, etc.