Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The rest hour

I guard my rest hour jealously.

When a friend calls and wants to get together, I say:

"Oh, from about 10-2, ok?" Two o'clock being the rest hour.

Or the delivery man:

"We can come from 8-12 or 12-5. What would you like?"

Oh, 8-12, lest he interuppt my rest hour!

I don't neccesarily have to sleep during this rest hour, but it's when I rest. Usually I read, or do my bible study, or close my eyes for a few, but always lying down.

The children? Well, it's their rest hour, too. A video, a nap, quiet time with books. But away from each other....usually.

The rest hour helps me to "catch my breath", so to speak. It gears me up for the rest of the day, which is just as busy as the first part of the day. When I was homeschooling my oldest, and had 2 under 2, praying my way until rest hour helped me to endure. If you can schedule your little ones to where they are taking naps at the same time, then you are halfway there!!

In Elisabeth Elliott's devotional book Keep A Quiet Heart, she writes of her experience in taking care of her daughters' 4 children for a week:

Every afternoon there was Quiet Hour. This was a lifesaver for Granny. The three older children were expected to be in their rooms for an hour. They did not need to sleep, but they were to read or find something quiet to do alone. Not once did we have any altercation about Quiet Hour. It had always been a part of their lives and they liked it. Jim and I lay down together, I read him a Beatrix Potter story, and he fell asleep.

Your rest hour can be something to look forward to during the day. I know a friend who keeps a "treat box" and allows herself a cup of coffee and chocolate during the rest hour.

So, now that I've used up half of my own rest hour typing this, I will say "goodbye" and Happy Resting!

12 comments:

bluemountainmama said...

i do the same thing at almost the exact same time as you. although my days are pretty quiet with just one child, i still need that "time" all to myself. my son doesn't nap anymore, so he does something quiet in his room during that hour. i think every mother needs this.

Anna said...

What is a rest hour? Can someone explain the concept? Hehehe.

I am really trying to get time to myself these days especailly since they are all home again during the day. That is the nice thing about having a 13 year old (along with the two younger ones)...she can babysit for me if I need her. That is a real bonus to having your kids spread out. :)

Off to rest!

Lydia said...

Andrea, Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

Your "Progress not Perfection" post is wonderful--I love the knitting analogy--and that Martin Luther quote is fantastic. I'd like to steal it for my blog description--so good.

Miriam said...

Yes, I love my rest hour as well! (And sometimes it's a little longer when the kiddos allow.)

I'm enjoying Keep a Quiet Heart, too.

L.L. Barkat said...

Question... do you manage to do it every day? I can think of a million reasons I'd skip it almost daily (not very good of me, eh?)

Andrea said...

L.L.
No, no, no. I do not manage it everyday. I *strive* for it, though.
And, for me, it's a neccesity! I can think of a million reasons to skip it too, but I need that time to get through the rest of the day. :)

Janel said...

I think this is a mother's secret weapon! Great post. I linked it. :)

Brandy said...

Janel linked me to your blog. I am having quiet time right now. It is a must in our home. I only miss quiet time for major events that can't be changed. I turn off the ringer every day during this time. It is so important! Thanks for posting!

Christine said...

We do this some of the time, but I have a daughter that doesn't know the meaning of the word quiet. She is in constant motion and won't "rest". But I need to try again to train her, for her discipline and my sanity! Thanks for the motivation to get back to "quiet time".

urban mama said...

This is also my sanity saver. The days that I do not get it are so much harder than the others. I think it is good for the kids also. This post puts it so well.

Mrs Wibbs said...

Andrea, I've just come across this post, and had to leave my mark.
I grew up with this concept of having "rest time" as a child, living in France; and now I have my own kids, I am very protective of this special time of rest just after lunch - very often I would say I do depend on it to keep me going to the end of the day, as you do! The kids somehow know that Mummy, during this time, is not to be disturbed under any circumstance. And I know they also benefit from having some 'space', a 'break' from life's busy-ness... And so I thank God for this healthy habit which I've inherited from my childhood... and I feel encouraged to keep it up, so thank YOU, too!

SuzyQ said...

Hi Andrea.
I came across your blog by " A Simple Woman"
I really like this post.
I too have tried to cultivate a quiet space in the afternoon for both the children and I.
Like you I find it just refreshes everybody.
By the way your blog is very restful:)
I would love to link if you don't mind.