Saturday, January 13, 2007

Where do you think?

The best time to plan a book is while you are doing dishes. ~Agatha Christie

Or, you could say, "The best time to come up with an idea is in the shower"...or is it the bath for you?

I would say a lot of my ideas and thoughts come to me in the shower. I'm secluded!!The bath is where I relax, and where I don't want to think.

"So what's the deal? Is there something magical about the water, the soap, the steam? Scientists have a few theories. "Creativity requires an attitude that is a paradoxical blend of attention and relaxation," explains Joshua Coleman, a San Francisco-based clinical psychologist. As it happens, the shower is a near-perfect place to cultivate such an attitude. As we scrub, "our minds revert to a sort of neutral state in which we are receptive to issues or themes that bother us or that are unresolved," says Steven M. Smith, a cognitive psychologist at Texas A&M. In other words, the mind begins to wander aimlessly, which makes it easier to entertain less-than-serious thoughts. In most cases, these playful thoughts lead to nothing, and you leave the shower all wet. But on occasion, you'll hit on something really great." (Inc. magazine)

Hmm. Food for thought.

The shower: my thoughts take form--the sink...well that's a place of prayer.

But that's a post for another day...

9 comments:

Anna said...

I have never heard that from Agatha Christie...but I have to say that when I do the dishes...I am in a trance with my thoughts. When I am in the shower I am just wishing that I had another hour to sleep! AAAhhhh, motherhood! Interesting. Thanks for adding me to your blogroll and I am glad that you like my pics!

Michelle Gregory said...

Hmm, they come to me while doing dishes, in the shower, while drying my hair and in the middle of the night.

tonia said...

Outside, usually. Anytime I'm in nature I start to get reflective and thoughtful.

toblerone said...

I have to say in the shower, because my daughter has been especially clingy to me lately, and in the shower, it either means she's asleep, or my hubby is home! And the water drowns out the sound of her calling out my name. Not so much in the bath.

And I love your blog, by the way! I'm reading "Dumbing Us Down," too, by the way. Just started it.

Elise said...

Yes, the shower. My thinking chair. It may be the massaging of my head as I wash my hair - kicks those brain cells into motion!
And the sink is definitely "The Prayer Basin", as I've dubbed it. Looking out the window at the river, seeing my children playing. It is a good place to be.

Christine said...

I've had those thoughts in the shower... And other times the shower just happens to be a place that the kids can't enter (we have a hinged shower door) and that I can say, "What? I can't hear you!" and basically ignore them for 5 warm, steamy minutes. :)

Thanks for the email today!

Andrea said...

Elise--"The Prayer Basin"--love it!!

Christine--ok, so I'm glad I'm not the only one who says, "I can't hear you!" when I'm showering!

Jennifer said...

Definitely the shower. It's amazing the cheers/jingles I've created to help my students learn a new concept. It's gotten to the point that when I say, "Last night when I was in the shower..." they know something crazy is going to follow. :)

Jen

Janel said...

I get ideas for some of my best articles and ministry solutions in the shower. (I'm involved in a lot here at home that I haven't written about... yet.) That's where I got the idea to write about the FFF. :)