Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Broom



Thank you, God.
For my place.
Under your great and gracious skies.
For a house, a tree, a swing.
For beauty that is small and precious.

I praise You,
For You are the Giver
Of all good things.

You bring into my life
Each day,
A task that is as humble as a broom.
You say--Sweep!

There is a friend to be listened to...
A card to be sent,
A home to be cared for.

Sometimes,
I sweep dust
Into my own face.
I could just cry.
I feel so clumsy, so ordinary,
So unfit for Your Holy calling.

But when I get tired
You take away my broom,
And You sit me down
On a bench,
For a drink of lemonade.

I realize that I haven't minded the job.
There are golden glints in the straw.

Soon, I'm ready to sweep again.
With hands that are more tender
And a heart that is more willing to be taught.

I praise You, Lord,
Suffering servant, and victorious King,
For the privilege of taking
Even one stroke...
With my broom.

~Anon.

"And He said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me." ~Luke 9:23

This is a repost from April 26, 2006. It is always a great encourager to me. I will be taking a week or so off from the blogging circuit--for many different reasons--but I'll see you when I'm back!!

10 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

Going off to the bench to have lemonade, perhaps? Will miss you. Have a nice rest.

bluemountainmama said...

yes...have a nice rest! and regardng your comment on my blog....sir laughsalot DOES tend to gravitate toward older women :)

Christine said...

I love this poem. This fits perfectly with what I've been thinking about lately. I have a post scrambling in my brain and I'm going to link to this later. Have a refreshing week off!

Mrs. S said...

I am going to print this poem out to hang somewhere in my house. Thank you. Enjoy your week off!!

AIMEE said...

Will miss you Andrea! You are refreshing! I emailed you...
Aimee

Roberta said...

This was the first post I had ever read of yours and had always wanted to ask where you found this and if you took that picture.
May I ask that?
And had intended all along to link to it, perhaps now I will.
Thanks for reposting...it again inspires me.

Andrea said...

Roberta~
I wish I did know who wrote the poem. Someone gave it to me a few years ago. I love it.
The picture is from "Big Stock Photo"--I did not take it. What took so long to ask? ;)
The poem is great, isn't it?

Anna said...

Have a wonderful, restful week! :) We will miss you Andrea...

Roberta said...

What took so long to ask? ;)
Distracted procrastinator. :)

The poem is great, isn't it?
Yes, truly.

Have a blessed week!

Natalee said...

Andrea,
Thank you for your comment on my post...and for being so....refreshing.

Will be reading...
Nat