Wednesday, February 07, 2007

God's rest

God's rest sometimes isn't a cup of coffee out with girlfriends....
A break from sickness...
or fussy babies--
or doctor trips--

Sometimes it's in the form of a nap--
or a much needed helping hand.

Mostly it's singing to your children while bathing them--instead of just "getting it done".
Or laying in a pre-teen's bed--talking, sharing--though you are dead tired.

Or it's reading here--
Sobbing for your own selfishness on your knees in front of Him--

He always gives a new and better perspective.

Come to Me
All who are weary
And I will give you rest
Come to Me
All who are weary
And I will give you rest
Lay your head down
On My shoulders
Be still My child, rest a while

I'll quiet you with My love
Rejoice over you with My song
I'll quiet you with My love
Rejoice over you with My song

Come to Me all who are weary
And take My yoke upon you
Come to Me all who are weary
My burden is easy and light

Lay your head down
On My shoulders
Be still my child, rest a while

I'll quiet you with My love
Rejoice over you with My song
I'll quiet you with My love
Rejoice over you with My song

~Rebecca St. James "Quiet You With My Love"


Artwork by Rettung

7 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

This is strange... again, I can't see your pic. I scrolled down and can't see yesterday's either, but I can see the "Delight" pic.

And now for the real topic of this comment: loved your wise and simple discussion of "rest." Rest is, perhaps as Paul said, contentment in plenty and in want. Moving through life with contentment through all the things we are responsible for and face... yes, rest.

bluemountainmama said...

andrea- hope you receive that "rest" today. stories like that DO make you cherish and appreciate your time with your children much more...

Anna said...

Thanks Andrea. I hope that He gives you all the rest you need. Wonderful post.

Elise said...

I can't get to Ann's post, but just reading the rest of yours, and the words to the song, brings me to my own knees, with a broken heart.
The manner in which we live, and move, and have our being, as you said, singing while they're in the bathtub, instead of just being.
It's resonating, friend.

Christine said...

I always love reading those verses because Jesus doesn't say, "Come, I'll un-yoke you". Instead He says, "Yoke yourself with me, it's much better that way." And it always is. I love the pictures you gave in this post. Thanks!

Jennifer said...

What a great reminder!

Jennifer

Mrs. S said...

Beautifully written, and so true. I love the words to the song, especially "Lay your head down on my shoulders, be still my child, rest a while." This is something I have had to learn ... am still learning in fact. Thank you.