Saturday, February 03, 2007

The myth of safety

There's nothing like sick children-- to make you wish for health in your family.

It all started with me thinking, "Wow, we've made it halfway through the winter with no sickness!" Now, I've been doing this mothering thing long enough to know that you just don't say that. Or even think it. Cause we all know what happens when you do that.

Well, it started with my sweet baby deciding to test out the water of mama's tea, and it's all been downhill from there....

After two weeks, he got the bandage off, but after two weeks of going to the doctor every other day, we received a helping of germs. My second girl came down with a bad cold, spiked a high fever of 104.4 on Wednesday, complained of a stomach ache, and had a bad cough. After two days of fever, we went back to the doctor, and now she has pnemonia, poor thing. Thankfully, the fever is gone, and she is back to "normal", besides a bad cough, but it was certainly a shock.

Little peanut has an irriated eye. (methinks it's him rubbing the cocoa butter from his healed hand into his eye, but the doctor thinks it's pinkeye and I am faithfully putting in drops, although I do not agree with his diagnosis) .....basically, I'm tired of sickness.

So, when little peanut woke up from his nap today with a runny nose and a fever, I threw up my hands...what next?!

All this reminds me that we are never safe. To feel safe is a myth. It is a sobering thing, but we do not know what is going to happen in the next 10 years, let alone the next 10 mintues.
God intends for us to live and act in ignorance and in uncertainy about the outcome of our actions. ~John Piper

God says to us in James 4:13-15:

Come now, you who say, "Today or tommorow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade a make a profit"--yet you do not know what tommorow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that."

Things to consider as my husband and I take pen to paper...writing out our dreams, planning our future changes....

A good friend here (and I hope she doesn't mind me posting this, because she reads!) has the most loveliest, delightful child. At four months of age, it was found that she had had a stroke in utereo. My friend's life was completely changed. (For the better, I might add, and she would say so, too!) When talking to her once, I said to her, "It must have rocked your world." She replied, and wisely so, "You never know what will happen to your child... your life. You just don't know." That was so eye-opening to me. She was and is right.

These thoughts exploding the myth of safety make the case all the more to risk for Christ. It makes me think How am I doing that? How can I do that?

All the more to enjoy our present gift.

The tragic hyprocrisy is that the enchantment of security lets us take risks every day for ourselves but paralyzes us from taking risks for others on the Calvary Road of love. We are deluded and think that it may jeopardize a security that in fact does not even exist. ~John Piper

Quotes from John Piper's book "Don't Waste Your Life"

13 comments:

Mrs. S said...

Thank you so much for this reminder. We read John Piper also, but I haven't read "Don't Waste Your Life." I hope that all the sniffles, aches and pains and fevers will be a thing of the past very soon.

Lydia said...

Yes, there's no guarantee of safety--at least how we normally define it.

I remember the relief when my oldest was born health--no apparent problems. Yet, at 4 he was diagnosed with leukemia and we spent the next 3 years in and out of hospitals.

I can't think of any time we can breath a sigh of relief and think--oh, everything will be perfect now.

However, I learned much through this experience--chiefly that peace is a Person and safety/protection is a Person--which is very good news. :)

Anna said...

Wonderful post Andrea.

I remember my family and others before we came to the field here. Is it safe? Are the kids going to be safe? And while those questions were unanswerable on their own my repsonses on, in my head I was thinking "safe? we are going to be doing ministry...of course He will keep us safe".....

While we pray for that, you can get a false sense of hope regarding physical safety. They speak on this subject pretty intense in mission conferences. One thing that can be guaranteed is that while God is not always safe...God is ALWAYS good.

Thanks for sharing the excerpts from Piper. We love that book. Remember...God is AWAYS good.

bluemountainmama said...

yes....unnerving, but true. we DON"T ever know what tomorrow holds. i think we should still dream big dreams...but ultimately our future is in God's hands. i hope your family is well soon...my son has had the "crud" the past week also.

urban mama said...

Sorry to hear that your family is sick. I would have loved to have met you while we were in New York. If we end up there again any time soon I will have to try to meet up. Hope you all get well quickly.

Adventures In Babywearing said...

We are dealing with this now, too, and I can relate very much to your post!! Hope all is better today!

Christine said...

Very true post. We can get so caught up in worrying about how we "look" to others, when the truth is, none of that matters a bit. Thanks for challenging us to come out of our comfort zone! By the way, we've had colds since October with only 1 week free of anything. :(

Elise said...

It reminds me of the hobbits in the shire - they just wanted to live in their safe little world and not worry about what was going on outside of it. "But what if they had just stayed put?" my seven-year-old asked me just today.
That is only a fiction story, but it made me think about how comfortable I like to make myself, cocooned in my small town, homeschooling my kids, almost sticking my fingers in my ears sometimes and singing loudly so I won't hear the pain and the need.
Great reminder, Andrea. That quote by Piper is just perfect.

dorothy said...

Beautifully shared, Andrea. Such a necessary reminder to live each minute for Jesus, 'cause that's really all we have!

AIMEE said...

This was so precious Andrea! This was the first time I had visited your blog...I had seen your comments on "Walk Softly, Live Wildly" blog and wanted to check yours out! You are a kindred spirit and it's nice to "meet" you! I look forward to keeping up with you!
www.livinglearningandlovingsimply.blogspot.com

L.L. Barkat said...

yet, isn't it strange that we all long for safety... I do believe it is part of our yearning for God's rest

Kristi said...

Wonderfully written post, Andrea - and a much-needed daily reminder for all of us. May we never boast! I tend to have the same thoughts when my family is sick... God knows if we are pilgrims and wanderers in this world, we must at time go through the hardships to make us want our final destination more than any other stopping place!

"Lord, I pray for a quick recovery for everyone in Andrea's home!"

God bless - have a great week :)

Janel said...

I said the same "we haven't been sick this winter" last week. Ariana still has a cough & spent Firday & Saturday with a temp of 102. The upside was we got to snuggle in bed all day Sunday! :)

I hope everyone is better soon!