Thursday, February 22, 2007

Ruth Bell Graham on Encouragement

I've been perusing an old classic, it's Ruth Bell Graham's It's My Turn, a collection of musings and journal writings from dear Ruth. I especially appreciate the mothering ones. It's like reading her blog or something, the woman is gifted and wise. This one particularly stuck out to me, as I do not want to forget these words of wisdom, and they are fittin' to share:

"Dear Journal,
Never let a single day pass without saying an encouraging word to each child.

Particularly wherever you have noticed any--even the slightest--improvement on some weak point. Some point at which you have been picking and criticizing.

And never fail to pass on any nice thing you have heard said about anyone, to that child.

In David's prayer for Solomon, he said, "...prayer also shall be made for him continually; and daily shall he be praised."(Psalm 72:15)

'More people fail for lack of encouragement,' someone wrote, 'than for any other reason.' "

6 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

I was thinking about this the other day... it's so easy to pick... and mightn't this be a slow etching away at a child's heart?

bluemountainmama said...

yah- you're back! very wise quote from dear ruth! :)

Kendra said...

What a wonderful quote. Thank you, Andrea. I feel that in my efforts to maintain sanity/order in my home that this is one of the main areas in which I really have to focus or else I just forget. But, our little ones really do thrive under encouragement. Thanks for the great reminder!

Anna said...

I am so glad to see you are back on! This was a great post Andrea and I will be sure to remember these things! :)

AIMEE said...

yes! Encouragment has been on my heart so much lately. I can be so critical of myself, hubby and kiddos and am seeking to be gentle...my new thing is when the kids call each other names I make them apologize and then go the extra mile by thinking of something encouraging to say to the sibling. it changes the entire tone of their relationship immediately!
we all need more encouragement and less of the 'hammer'

agodlyhomemaker said...

i too love this book. :)
thanks for the reminder!