Friday, March 30, 2007

Doctor's orders

Since it's been at least 6 years since I've had a general checkup, I decided that since I'm not getting any younger, that I might better make an appointment for a physical, with all the general bloodwork.

Sitting on the "doctor's chaise" (is that what you call it?), with my elegant paper shirt on, she proceeded to give me the drill:

Her: Drink, smoke?

Me: No.

Her: Married?

Me: Yes.

Her: Children?

Me: Four. (And I waited for the inevitable...)

Her: Gasp. Perks up. You don't look like you have four children!!

Me: Smiling politely. I know, I know.

Her: Still astonished.You are a brave woman!

Me: And I'm even crazier. I homeschool.

Her: Still more astonished.

Me: Thinking about my good friend with 6 children under 9, and homeschools. What would she think of her?

All things said, I am healthy. However, she gave me a little talking to when we were done.

Make sure you are taking good care of yourself. Try to relax. (Me snickering to myself--relax?) Take some time out for yourself, exercise to help with stress. (I know, I know.) If you don't take care of yourself, then how will you take care of your children? She was very insistent about this. And I did not roll my eyes, or listen with one ear. I listened. For she is right.

So, ladies, doctor's orders. Take care of yourself, so you can take care of your children. Whatever that looks like.

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!!

8 comments:

Jennifer said...

This is a great follow up to your Filling Up post. I really think it's true--I'm sure that the doctor was talking about exercise and eating right and physical well-being, but I think that the rest and carving out time for refreshment is critical for emotional well-being.

Thanks for clarifying in the comments of the earlier post--that makes more sense. I do believe that all we need is Christ and He will also get us through those times when we don't take care of ourselves, but we should try to stay on top of it when necessary. . . .

AIMEE said...

my husband is now taking the children every Monday evening so that I can go to a mom's night out with other homeschool mom's the 1st Monday of the month, the 2nd MOnday I am going to try new restaurants with my sister, the 3rd Monday is to go get coffee with a close friend of mine, and the 4th Monday is alone time at a coffee shop for me....a night of refueling and taking care of myself!
I am so excited about it and think it will be good to have women's time...

Christine said...

Can you hear me laughing over here? Relax, exercise? I know, I know, it's important, but when, for goodness' sake!

Anyway, loved the little peek into your appointment. I've been getting a lot of "Is this your first?" from strangers about my pregnancy. It's hysterical to see their eyes bug out when I tell them it's my 4th. I'll take it as a compliment, like I look young or something, never mind the gray.

Anna said...

Funny post Andrea. I like it. What I really like is when my daughter and I go places and they think I'm her big sister! Funny!

I think that women sometimes forget to take care of themselves because they are way too busy putting other people first....

Thanks for the reminder about our own health and well being and I am glad that your appointment went well!

Take care!

Lloyd Irving Bradbury said...

good Idea from DOWNUNDER
At 7.30pm on 31 March 2007, we are inviting Sydneysiders - businesses and individuals - to turn off their lights for just one hour, Earth Hour, as a sign of their commitment to reduce global warming.

http://earthhour.smh.com.au/

e-Mom said...

Excellent advice! Loved evesdropping on your doctor's appointment. I think I'll go to bed early tonight... :~)

Christine said...

There's a little gifty at my blog for you! :)

Mama Monk said...

This is a good reminder to take it easy and take care of my mama-self. I find the hardest thing for me is remembering to DRINK ENOUGH WATER! Funny how something so simple and necessary can be forgotten...
Kelley