Thursday, March 29, 2007

Hope

23. Newly married. Instant mother to a five-year-old. Worries. Anxieties.

Will she embrace me as her mother? Does she want me to even be her mother? Will she depend on me for her needs? Will I fit into this instant family?

My husband: You are an amazing mother. You are the best mother for her. I already see the potential, even if you don't. You are doing a wonderful job.

If I would have listened to him more, I would have saved myself many days of worrying.

25. Colicky newborn in my lap 24-7. Breast feeding issues. Tired. This is not how it was supposed to be!

My husband: Look at this blessing we have: a healthy beautiful baby. Just think, when she is 5 or 6, this will all be a long-ago memory.

He was right. I should have listened to him more then. Would have saved me much worry. She is 6 now...my sweet, sweet, girl.

Last night. In bed. Talking with my husband. Worries surrounding my teenage daughter. I have no greater joy than to see her walk in truth. I don't want to fail in leading her that way.

My husband: Where is your hope? We have a long journey with her. We can only do what we can do every day and leave the rest to God.

Yes, I know. I should listen. It would save me much worry.

So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
~Isaiah 41:10

15 comments:

Holly said...

Yes, listen to your husband. :)

Anna said...

This is so me...and I needed to hear what you did as well!

I am so glad that our Father handpicks our princes!

L.L. Barkat said...

It is so hard to watch them grow up and know that we cannot give them everything they need. They must find it in themselves, by the grace of God's righteous right hand. Sometimes I want to give my older daughter courage, for instance. But only she can come to that... and, yes, I worry that she won't.

I like that reassurance, "so do not fear, for I am with you." He is with me, yes, and He is with her too. I just need to remember that.

Janel said...

Yeah, I ditto that. Listen to your husband. :)

Hugs for the journey!

Anonymous said...

As I always say--Keep your Faith. It will get you through it all.

Mom

Miriam said...

Andrea, I really like the way you brought expression to this. Beautiful. And, your interactions with your husband sound so much like my husband and me. :) God is so good to give them to us to encourage and speak truth when our emotions are a swirl! May we keep listening to them (our husbands), and may God bless your dear girl; He will be faithful to lead her in the path of life.

AIMEE said...

Let's hear it for strong husbands who give us the comforting truth in the midst of our blinding fears! We have these conversations almost every day :) I obsess too much! :)

Anonymous said...

Andrea-
Keep relying on your faith.God is going to be right there with you. It is so easy to say "don't worry" when it isn't me going through it, right? Give your family our love!
:) Ami

Andrea said...

Aimee--you hit it. I obsess too much. Good thing my husband doesn't.
Everyone else--thanks for the encouragement. He is faithful, and there is no need for anxiety. I have to tell myself that many times with *all* my children. :)

Ann Kroeker said...

Wonderful parenting stuff here--I love how you wrote the timeline and wove in your and your husband's perspective. And I love how you tied it up with his wise thoughts which clearly flow from embracing and living in truth.

And obviously you do, too.

Ann Kroeker said...

I meant that you, too, obviously have wise thoughts flowing from truth.

(and here I was blogging about excellence in writing??)

Elise said...

Oh, listen to that man. I hear the words of God in there.
These are timely words for me, who always seems to struggle between the now, then, and who knows when?

Beverly said...

I agree with the others ... listen to your husband. Ah ... these men that God have given us ... what a blessing they are. I'm a worrier, so these words hit home for me.

dorothy said...

Beautifully written, Andrea. You've brought tears to my eyes, again. What a wonderful blessing your husband is.

Sharon said...

Just found you today. Spent a little time reading and this caught my heart. Going through a little of this myself.God told me this morning to stand on His promises--and so I will.