Friday, September 07, 2007

John Wayne Gacy, me, and Jesus

It might be a prerequisite to prove yourself as a thoughtful, reflective blogger, that you must take mental notes on the decline of our culture while shopping at Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, the mall, or (fill-in-the-blank), come home, and write a blog post about it, pointing out or lamenting the state of our cultural affairs.

In my trip to Target the other day I saw it all: the fourteen-year-olds on cell phones, the teenage girls in pajama pants, the 4 year old crying and whining (loudly) to her mother: "Will you buy me something!!!", the rows and rows of plastic junk made in China, the consumer traps, the nonverbal cashier--and so on...(there, I said it.)

I wish I had some great social commentary on it all; but, the truth is, walking out of the store, all I thought about were the haunting lyrics of Sufjan Stevens' song "John Wayne Gacy, Jr.".

And the lyrics--they came right to me then--

And in my best behavior
I am really just like him
Look beneath the floorboards
For the secrets I have hid


After all, I did buy the Disney Princess dolls for eight bucks each, for my girls, nonetheless.

All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away. Isaiah 64:6

12 comments:

Jana said...

*ouch* Good post.

Andrea said...

LOL, Jana. *ouch* for me, too.
I'm just keepin' it real. *grin*

tonia said...

Oh, I got a good laugh out of this post!

Dear, you must fly to Oregon and have coffee with me - Starbucks, of course, so we could lament the loss of all the local businesses. Seriously, we'd have so much to talk about!!!

Love your blog, Andrea.

Kendra said...

Nice job "keepin' it real" ; )

So, you're a believing, homeschooling Mama of four who likes Feist and Sufjan. We really are meant to be best friends, you know! BTW - you should check out M. Ward if you haven't already. He's another amazing musician.

L.L. Barkat said...

It's a journey, isn't it? I think the thing is to consider why we buy the Disney plastic. Was it the $8? Or something else?

Andrea said...

L.L.--

..oh, definitely something else entirely!!

Kendra--

Yes, and we both have 3 girls and one boy!! (or you will soon, anyway!) and I looked up M. Ward and saw that he is already on our itunes playlist. Hubby must listen to him and I had no idea. I'll check it out.

Joni said...

Umm-Hmm. Great transparent post, Andrea. And I really saw myself in your truth. We just got back from London this week and the consumerism is one of the things that (sadly) beckoned us as we returned. I stood at Wal-Mart yesterday absolutely stunned at the amount of choices available. Stunned. Even in the UK, this amount of choice is unheard of. It's an interesting thing to come back to, after being away for so long.

Beck said...

Beautiful post.
And Sufjan is my very, very favorite.

AIMEE said...

my hubbie has been lamenting the 'made in China' stickers on our things lately...Target ropes me in constantly...just want to "feel good" and their cute stuff is a quick bandaid. Great post!

marianne said...

Excellent post. I'm pregnant with my first and I think about how the world is changing every day - I guess I should say our culture. It's a little frightening.

Elise said...

You're amazing. Such a simple post, with quite the wallop. And I know you are speaking to yourself, but you minister to so many others at the same time. Thank you. No more words, just deep thoughts running through this brain...

Anonymous said...

Yea, I was at guitar center and ended up tripping, and using a 59 gibson gold top as a pole vault stick, snapping it in half....it didn't have a made in china sticker on it....think anyone noticed?