Monday, April 02, 2007

Children's Book Monday: I Like You


One of my favorite "genres", I guess you could say, of children's literature are the little, gift-size books, with adorable illustrations; and short, sweet prose. I guess this is why I really enjoy reading I Like You by Sandol Stoddard Warburg and illustrated by Jacqueline Chwast.

The back of the book says this: Here is the book that Romeo would have given Juliet; Charlie Brown would have given Snoopy; and you can give to some very special friend.

The book was first written in 1965, but, of course, the words are still applicable today:

"And I like you because / When I am feeling sad / You don't always cheer me up right away
Sometimes it is better to be sad
You can't stand the others being so googly and gaggly / every single minute
You want to think about things
It takes time"


This book is a book that adults and children will enjoy together. We all can value the importance of a friend who likes you for you and who you love.

The illustrations are simple black ink on paper, and capture gorgeous movement throughout.

So, sit down with your child, and read this giggly-iggly fun of a book. I promise you'll love it!!

More Children's Book Monday with Elise at A Path Made Straight.

5 comments:

Elise said...

I love that this book gets to the heart of friendship - what we learn as adults to value in our friends! So good for children to hear.
Looks great - can't wait to read it! I have the longest list of books - I am so armed when I walk into that library! :)

Beverly said...

Another book for my library list as well ... it looks so sweet!

Beverly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...

I find I am really enjoying reading some of the older books with my children as well. It brings us back to a simpler time when the world wasn't so explosive in color and images.

Thank you for sharing-
Jenny
Little Acorns Treehouse

Jennifer said...

This looks like a really sweet book. A good book to buy a friend.