Monday, April 23, 2007

Children's Book Monday: The Relatives Came


The Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant is a wonderful book to read to begin thinking about an essential part of summer: traveling in hot cars, staying in cramped quarters.....visiting relatives.

Rylant balances the reality of this with the sweetness of traveling a long way and staying in an unknown place, with "strangers" sometimes known as your relatives. One of my favorite lines relating to this is this one:

It was different, going to sleep with all that new breathing in the house.

Said so perfectly!

Then it was hugging time. Talk about hugging!
Those relatives just passed us all around their car, pulling us
against their wrinkled Virgina clothes, crying sometimes.
They hugged us for hours.


What I love is that the story is told from a child's point of view. Often times in my own childhood, I had thoughts and ideas about experiences like this, that I could not put into words. This book helps with that.

This book has been worn out in my household. I bet their "Mimi" has read it to them more than me, which makes it special.

A Caldecott Honor Book, it has delightful and evocative pictures.

A great summer read!

More Children's Book Monday with Elise at A Path Made Straight.

9 comments:

Llama Momma said...

Thank you for the great review! I need to check this out for summer...

Beck said...

WE have that book and we love it! Great review.

AIMEE said...

we love this book too...it's a great one...we are getting ready to go on vacation with family that we haven't seen in a while so I am going to go check it out at the library again tomorrow!

L.L. Barkat said...

Oh, to be hugged for hours. What a vision of comfort. And, speaking of visions of comfort, your header sure makes me want a hammock in the shade! Lovely.

Jennifer said...

I just visited my Mimi, who is also my kids' Mimi, so that was a sweet connection for me. We did lots of shuffling around, and enjoyed every bit of it.

Elise said...

Sounds like so much fun! I love what I've read so far, so it's on my list! Thanks!

Linda said...

Great review.
We love this book took, we don't own it yet. But it gets checked out from the library a lot.

I enjoyed reading your blog.
Blessings,
Linda

rcsnickers said...

We actually got this book out of a box of Cheerios! LOVE hugging time! Such a funny description. Even fit since we now have family in VA!

Thanks for the review,
Letisha

Anonymous said...

We all will be there soon for our continuous passing around "hugging time". Can't wait.
Love, Mimi