Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Christ in me


My grandmother's hands worked hard at what she did. I loved to trace the veins in them, loved to play with her wedding ring. They were always soft, cool, and willing to hold me, willing to hug me.

My grandmother's tongue said words of encouragement. She never seemed to say a harsh word, and if she was upset, I never knew. There was never a lull in any conversation whenever she was around.

My grandmother's feet didn't take her far from where she was born, but her heart certainly did. Everyone knew Mrs. Edwards and everyone loved her.

My grandmother's body served the Lord in everything she did. She understood that her body, her hands, her tongue, and her feet were not her own, but were Jesus'.

I want to remember that myself. Instead of speaking a harsh word, may I remember that the words I use are Jesus' words.

May the hands I use be used to serve in love, not frustration or to just to "get it done". They are Jesus' hands.

May my heart reach out past where my feet cannot go.

We are the body of Christ, not in some figurative sense, but we are the flesh and blood of Jesus alive in the world through the Holy Spirit--God's hands, feet, ears.~Shane Claiborne The Irresistible Revolution

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.~Galations 2:20

Mary Cassatt "Young Mother Sewing"

11 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

yes, it is certainly inspirational to think of our bodies as "the body of Christ." Lovely description of your grandmother...

Elise said...

Yes, yes, YES! And amen.

goodlikeamedicine said...

This is so good!

The NON-Superwoman said...

How lovely to have had such a wonderful example. Grandmothers are a treasure.

Beverly said...

This was beautiful and thought - provoking. Thank you.

Miriam said...

Andrea. This is beautiful and priceless. Did you like Shane Claiborne's book? I've heard from others that it's tremendous - I'd like to read it soon.

Andrea said...

Miriam
I am reading it right now. (It's on my Spring reading Challenge)
On the whole, I like it so far. He says some good stuff.
However, I don't agree with *everything* he says and his tone bothers me sometimes...his writing style, maybe? since I don't personally know him.
But a good message, definitely...and convicting.

Ginnie said...

Thank you for this reminder that our bodies are not our own but Christ's. I love the quote by Shane Claiborne.

dorothy said...

This is a beautiful post, Andrea. So beautifully written about your grandmother and good encouragement.

I really loved The Irresistable Revolution, but like you, didn't necessarily agree with every single word. But totally agreed with his message - very inspiring, too.

Ann Kroeker said...

What a powerful tribute to your grandmother--and as I get to know you through your blog, I see that she's left a legacy of faith, passing it on to the next generations. Powerful.

Mrs Wibbs said...

Yes, that is my desire also! I am inspired by your description of your grandmother, she sounds like a truly godly woman. We have so much to learn from older generations, don't we?! I long to grow old gracefully and to become more and more a woman, a mother, a wife after God's own heart...and I hope that my grandchildren will be able to say those things of me, one day! This is certainly a challenge, because it starts now: we cannot put off till tomorrow being Jesus' hands, mouth,, feet, body on earth. There is much to be done!