Friday, April 13, 2007

Weekend reads

This past week I've come across some good reads I want to share:

This post by Janel is something to read....and re-read.

Kendra wrote a well-thought out piece on how she lives out being crazy for the Lord.

I'm loving The Beatrice Brigade.

And this quote to leave you with:

"What is fulfillment and how does one find it? Generally, fulfillment involves feeling complete, content, useful, at peace, it means feeling that life has meaning, and that you have a part in it...

{Betty} Friedan's answer is that meaningful work will bring fulfillment. There are other suggestions--love, one's children, the acquisition of material things, art. Those who advocate a shorter work week must see personal fulfillment in leisure time.

From a Christian perspective, none of these goals is sufficient...

Real fulfillment is possible only for those who know the God of the Scriptures, and to those, fulfillment is possible in whatever circumstances they find themselves...

For the Christian, satisfaction is found in obedience to God...

The Christian woman should not be deceived by feminist dreams and promises. Women will not automatically become immune to anomie {the feeling one's life is meaningless} when they are given equal opportunity in the work world...The Christian who lacks fulfillment lacks it because he or she is sinning by not fixing his or her mind and trust on Christ, the only one who fulfills."

~Susan Foh

6 comments:

bluemountainmama said...

i agree..... all the things mentioned first in the quote are not bad things, they are good things to have and attain to....but, if we seek fulfillment in those things alone, we will be disappointed.

relationship with our Savior is the most important thing above all else.... it is secondary, but still important, to fufill our individual purposes and callings.

Jennifer said...

I know this isn't the kind of "read" you were mentioning, but I recently finished Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. It's a book of fiction, but it is such a wonderful love story based on the book of Hosea. Matter of fact, the hero's last name is Hosea.

Beck said...

Yes, exactly. That's been going through my mind a lot and this post really help crystalize what I've been thinking.
I so tried to name our last daughter Beatrice! But it's a popular dairy brand in Canada and my husband couldn't shake the association.

Christine said...

I'll check out those posts today, thanks! I think I might use part of that quote by Susan Foh for the next In Other Words I host, where did that come from?

Elise said...

Wow - excellent quote, Andrea. Several of the things mentioned are definitely things I find myself *finding* my fulfillment in, rather than God; it is a constant struggle to put my hope and purpose in Him, but so worth it.
Thanks!

Elise said...

P.S. - I loved Kendra's "crazy" post - and I'll check out the others soon! :)