Wednesday, April 11, 2007

W.O.W.

Once, in a bible study, a friend talked about being a W.O.W. A Woman Of the Word.

It always amazes me when I read the beginning of the book of John which says:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God.

And later:

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.

It always amazes me because Jesus was flesh as the Word.

I aspire to that.

It makes sense to me. When I read Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre, I begin to talk like Jane: witty, intelligent, words.
I guess that's why they say good writers are good readers.

When my children read quality literature, they discuss quality literature. They pretend to be Besty, Tacy and Tib or Laura and Mary. When they watch George of the Jungle too many times, they run around the house yelling, "George, George, George of the Jungle, strong as he can be!! Watch out for that treeeee!"

So, the old adage, what goes in, comes out, is true.

If I want to be a Woman Of the Word, then I must soak in the Word. I must read, and re-read it, til I am spewing the Truth in my words through everyday language.

It makes perfect, complete sense.

9 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yes, everyday language as well as thoughts and actions.

Hard to do on a day to day basis, but it does make sense, and it is worthwhile! :)

Sarah said...

It's amazing how daily time in the Word really does transform our speech, thinking, and acting. After all, the mouth is the overflow of the heart. OUCH! My heart definitely needs cleansing some days. Thanks for your thoughts! What a beautiful backyard you have in those pictures of your daughters!
Sarah

Trina said...

I've always heard Beth Moore say that she wants the Word of God to be apart of her very marrow, that she wants to "bleed Jesus." The ability to "take every thought captive" with truth from scripture is such a powerful ability (and one I greatly desire to grow stronger in). I would love to have scripture as such an intrical part of my being that it can't help but come out and be seen in everything I do.
Blessings

dorothy said...

Amen, sister!

Elise said...

Spewing the word, yes. Starting my day soaking in the word has been life-changing.
What goes in, comes out. I need to remember that when the latest issue of People calls to me...

L.L. Barkat said...

Oh, I can just picture the monkey business! I laughed about that.

Children really remind us of the truths we bury...

Sharon said...

This is the second bog today that was talking about--what goes in is what comes out. In the restaurant business we used the term FiFo--first in first out. If we remember to let God's word be the first in---it will be the first out.
And I understand I want to be like Him too. Even if it hurts.

Susanne said...

So true. What we put into our hearts is what comes out. Great post Andrea!

Katherine@Raising Five said...

You have to know it to live it!