Tuesday, May 08, 2007

All's right


I thought about titling this post "Remains of the Day" or "Dusk", but I just couldn't get this poem out of my head, specifically the last 2 lines:

"The Year's at the Spring"
by: Robert Browning

The year's at the spring,
And day's at the morn;
Morning's at seven;
The hill-side's dew-pearled;
The lark's on the wing;
The snail's on the thorn;
God's in his Heaven --
All's right with the world!

I love when all my girls run out to play, after dinner, in jammies, at dusk, while I'm watching dishes, and I can watch them together jump and play on the trampoline, without them knowing it. It's a moment where I feel "all's right with the world".

I love their playthings strung across the yard, a reminder of what remained of that day.

Yes, (sigh) all's right with the world.

5 comments:

Beverly said...

I always liked this poem, and I love the picture of your children enjoying themselves. I can see their toys, evidences of all the fun they had!

L.L. Barkat said...

I wonder if God feels that way sometimes, when he watches us at play or in joy.

Beck said...

Lovely post! I like dusk myself, although my poor kids get put to bed so early that more than once they've looked out the window and wondered why their friends were biking by. Isn't that poignant?

Jennifer said...

I was just thinking about how these longer days and warm, but mild weather are so enjoyable. Usually by the time my daughter gets home at 4pm and does a bit of HW, and Kyle is up from his nap, I feel like we are already chasing down the day, but this week, we've been able to play and have fun.

Katherine@Raising Five said...

Love the mood of the jumping hair (reminds me of that one you posted of the spring snow). So care free. And the toys - only ours are not the remains of the day at our house are often the remains of the week...