Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Conquering sin helps us find Joy in mothering

My friend Betsy, in the comments of my post Patience, shared with me this quote:

Children don't make you who you are, they REVEAL who you are...

This is so true.

God uses our weaknesses to bring out our strengths, as crazy as that sounds. He uses the relationships in our family for our sanctification and growth for cultivation of the fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, longsuffering (patience), gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness (kindness), and temperance (self-control). Although it is frustrating to see my sin in my dealings with my children, I realize it is a gift because it helps me recognize the sin in my life. My saving grace is His word which says:

"But He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weakness, so that Christ's power may rest on me."
II Corinthians 12:9

I've used this verse so many times in my mothering. Whether it is because I am tired, pregnant, lacking joy, or lacking energy, I praise God for my weakness, so His strength can be known.

And speaking of joy, I plan to write a series of posts on how to have joy in mothering. I want to explore more of how to find that joy in my mothering. I will be using John Piper's list of How to Fight For Joy, as a base for thoughts, ideas, and practical solutions.

Number three on that list is "Resolve to attack all known sin in your life." So often my own sin is blatantly shown in my day to day activities, but not nearly enough confessed. There is a balance here. While I must confess, I must also realize His grace.

Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. I Corinthians 6:19-20

So, as mothers, as we are reminded of our sin everyday, let's remember the price He paid for those sins. Confess those sins. Remember His grace, and attack them with His grace. Confess them often, so that they will not get in the way of our joy.

13 comments:

Beck said...

I'm more now that I'm a mother - the process has forced me to grow up, become more patient and less selfish. What a great post! I so love visiting your site!

tonia said...

Sounds like a great series, Andrea. I look forward to it.

Thanks for everything.

Jennifer said...

I love that phrase, "attacking sin." Take the offensive towards it, instead of letting it attack and weaken us. . . . I'll be thinking of what needs to be attacked today.

Great thoughts.

Betty said...

I so needed this today. We do have to fight for our joy in mothering. I run out so often, but may that be an opportunity for be less of me and more of Him in my life! The reality is not what I feel (or don't feel) but what God tells me through His Word. I look forward to your posts!

A Fellow Pilgrim,
Betty

Miriam said...

..."attack them (sins) with His grace." I love that thought. I, too, am looking forward to your series...sounds so good. Thanks, friend.

Christine said...

Andrea, you MUST be reading my mind. There is so much in this post that I have been thinking about/struggling with recently. I have a post swirling around in my head about it and will be posting it Friday and I really look forward to your series on joy. I love coming to your blog, you're the best!!

Betty said...

Andrea,

Just wanted you to know that this post really struck a chord with me. I quoted it in my blog: http://web.mac.com/the6dickersons/iWeb/the6dickersons/Blog/2A466F05-A32E-44D2-94CA-E09F78D5474D.html

Thanks so much.
Grace and Peace,
Betty

L.L. Barkat said...

Oh, boy, yes. Children reveal who we are. And sometimes this is glorious and surprising. And sometimes it makes us want to run for cover.

Elise said...

I'm nodding vigorously to the "blatant sin" being revealed to us part - that is so me.

I'm very much looking forward to your series, friend!

Have a wonderful time this weekend!

Holly said...

I'm looking forward to it too, Andrea!

Laurie said...

I'm new to your blog (came here through Amy). I would love to read your connections between Piper's book and motherhood. Thank you for the insightful post today.

Katherine@Raising Five said...

Oh, if only I had understood this concept about 13 years ago. His grace is so great, isn't it? So grateful for that.

EEEEMommy said...

I'll definately be back to read more. It has been so true in my life that I have had to FIGHT for joy! I'm much more melancholy, contemplative, serious than joyful by nature.
These thoughts reminded me of the books Sacred Marriage and Sacred Parenting by Gary Thomas. If you haven't read either of them, I would highly recommend them both.
Here's the link: http://www.garythomas.com/
Looking forward to more (when it's not way past my bedtime!) :)