Sunday, May 20, 2007

Gabbing

Once a month I do a Bible study with three other women from my church. We aim to start at 8 p.m., but usually we start at 9. The reason is simple: we like to gab.

It takes us awhile to get going. We catch up with each others' lives, we discuss cultural, social, personal, biblical and every other issue you can think of. We cry. We encourage.

In the same way, this blog is an outpouring of thoughts and issues in my head that I might discuss with a girlfriend. I say them convincingly, because I believe them. In some ways, I say them so that you might nod your head and say, "yes, yes," as one of my girlfriends might do as we were chatting.

Dr. Dobson, of Focus on the Family, readily recommends women getting together with other women, especially in this modern age of isolationism and independence. I am not afraid to admit I am dependent on these relationships, I need them. For my sake, for my husband's sake, for my family's sake.

There are times when my husband cannot fill up my desire for the gift of gab. Women like to talk, to examine from every angle, to talk about it more...and then more. The conversations I've had with my girlfriends at this bible study would drive my husband mad! He would give a solution and move on. That's ok, that is needed sometimes. But sometimes we like to dissect an issue over and over again. Thankfully, God gave us women the gift of gab.

I encourage you if you don't meet regularly with women, to make that effort. There have been many times where I felt too busy in my life to do this, but once I do it, I always come away refreshed, encouraged, and a little more knowledgable.

10 comments:

Mrs. Pivec said...

*sigh* I MISS my special Bible study group that I enjoyed for 3 years. After moving to Florida, I just have not connected well with another group of women.

I am still looking and waiting patiently, though. I do have a few gabby friends and I do always come away from our meetings refreshed and with a new outlook on things. It's inspiring!

I realized, Andrea, that I never answered your question about who I'm hoping will win AI. Well, truthfully, I don't particularly care, because I like them both a great deal. I guess if I HAD to choose I would choose Blake, because he's original and fun to watch. You never know what he's going to do. I guess I think Jordin is a better singer, but Blake is a better musician if that makes sense. I'll be tuning in Wednesday night!!

Aimee said...

I wholeheartedly concur! I meet with a group of women every Monday to pray the Rosary for our children and their school/teachers/families. We always end up starting a half hour later than we plan because we seem to just collapse into one another with all that is going on in our lives. It is something I treasure deeply.

Elise said...

I am definitely looking forward to a day where there are more women in my community - there are about 170 people in this one, and they are mostly men, and mostly elderly. It's been a wonderful time of drawing near to my family, but I also miss the companionship of other women - both ones who are my age and my place in life, and Titus 2 women as well.
Thanks for the encouragement!

AIMEE said...

i love girl-time so much and always keep it a strong "value"! Going to try to grab coffee with a friend tonight!

Jennifer said...

Yes! When a couple of us invited a neighbor to our book club, she never returned. Her reason was that we didn't discuss the book as much as she thought. What's funny is that was a good night! We spent more on that book than any other! It takes us awhile to get started, too.

Here's an idea for your next meeting, which we just did. Everyone bring her favorite ice-cream! We were lucky-no one brought the same, and it was a GREAT meeting! YUM!

Jennifer (sorry I haven't been reading lately!)

debby said...

My Bible study mean the world to me. They truly multiple the joys and divide the sorrows. They pray for me when I cannot pray for myself. They are a gift from God.

L.L. Barkat said...

This is why I cherish my book clubs. And why I love to call someone when I'm making dinner or cleaning up after.

goodlikeamedicine said...

this is kind of a touchy one with me - i have an extremely close girlfriend, and we talk on the phone almost every day - it's so great because i can tell her ANYTHING (even like a hard, sin struggle that i went through a few months ago), and we pray with and for each other and laugh, and just chat about family and stuff... but we are 9 hours away from each other...

every time i have tried to get involved in a young "moms" type of group, i end up feeling like i need to be using that time at home w/ my kids... and when i meet with older women (like 10 yrs. older or even my mom's age), i learn so much more. why is that? i don't want to think that i am exclusive, but i have a hard time joining in on the mom-type bible studies. i personally need some other women who are in other "chapters" to talk to and hear from a different perspective.

are the women in your group younger mothers? or are they from different seasons? just curious

Andrea said...

Kristi
Most are the women in my group are in my "season" of life. I find this edifies and encourages me. Like I said, we don't usually talk "fluff" (Though sometimes we do) so I feel like I learn and it is a place to express myself. I also love listening to them. Maybe you have not found the right group. Mine is very personal, small, and committed, so that probably helps.

However, I do love learning from older women...immensely. I do not have a lot of older women in my congregation to do that, but perhaps one day I will. I hope so, anyway.

Jennifer said...

I am a social creature, and I have been so blessed by the close friendships with women that I have been blessed to share. I often want to cancel out on those sort of gatherings if I'm having a busy week, but I'm thankful for a husband who can encourage me to go. I usually am very glad that I have made the effort to go.