Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Patience

You would think that after almost ten years of doing this mothering thing, that I would be used to interupptions. That I would be used to delays, that I would be used to things that take forever. That I would be used to my children's sinful nature.

But I'm not.

Now, I've made some progress, but so very often I find my sinful nature getting in the way of being a patient mother.

In the first years of my marriage, my husband had a grand idea to take me fly fishing with him. He even bought me waders and boots. If I remember correctly, I think I was pregnant on one of the times and very nauseous. But I went, to try to fish and to have fun with him. I'll give anything a try.

I got bored after awhile, and tried to explain to him why. Later, I realized that maybe I would have had more fun if we had gone on the trip as if I were taking him. That way he would be more patient and slow, and therefore I would be more teachable.

So, in some ways I have surrendered to the seemingly slow part of learning in children, the seemingly long amount of time it takes to get everyone out the door or fix a meal, because of interupptions or what not. But I don't know if I'll ever get used to those interupptions.

Of course, I'll keep trying--sometimes failing--but trying. But also trying to remember that even though I'm teaching them, it's really them who are teaching me. Sometimes I need to let them take me through the day. Perhaps I'd have more patience.

For the righteous falls seven times and rises again,
but the wicked stumble in times of calamity.

~Proverbs 24:16

I am linking this post by Carmon at Buried Treasure Books. It goes along nicely with the theme in this post.

11 comments:

Mama Monk said...

yes! I needed to read this today.

i have had a frustrating, tired-of-interruptions sort of day. i am reminded to slow down and change my perspective....to lower my expectations for what *should* be accomplished in a day...

thanks for the reminder...

Jenny said...

I needed to hear this today as well. I am getting so frusturated with my 4.5 year old who talks NON-STOP. I can't get 10 minutes to focus on anything without being interuptted. Yesterday I thought I seriously might loose my mind.

Jenny

Elise said...

Oh, those interruptions! They're killer for me - I have a hard time getting focused anyway, and then to be interrupted...

I will pray for you as we walk through this together...

L.L. Barkat said...

I like this idea that they are teaching me. So, we'll see if, later today when I'm trying to get them out the door, I stop to think about whether I'm being a serious student!

Trina said...

I'm right there with you Andrea. My kids don't seem to appriciate my well-planned schedule as much as I do - what a surprise. My impatience and selfishness rears it's ugly head with the more I have on "my agenda". I'm trying to slow down, and listen to them more. The Lord keeps convicting me more every day. Blessings

Betsy said...

"Children don't make you who you are, they REVEAL who you are"...I've always loved this quote and realized how true it. My laziness, impatience, thoughtlessness...it all comes out!
Little Miss thang is teaching me tons!

Andrea said...

Betsy-love that quote. I have never heard of it before.
Someone once asked me what's the hardest part of being a parent..I said it's the fact they always watching me!

Trina--YES! Not so much on the to-do list...staying at home...that helps, right.

Thanks for your sympathy, all. It's good to know we are in the same boat at times. I'm thinking real hard on things to help with being patient in our homes. They'll be a post...sometime soon!

Christine said...

Oh, yes, we're in the same boat. I have been so humbled by my children and am blessed by what I learn daily. Patience is hard to come by but is a wonderful badge to aim to earn!

Katherine@Raising Five said...

Interruptions are God's way of showing me what's REALLY in my heart. Not always the fruit I'm wishing were there. Love this, and joining you in learning daily from my children!

Jennifer said...

Yeah, it's hard enough for me to figure out and cope with my own sinful nature. To try to be gracious and forgiving and forgetful about my children's sin nature is even harder. Seeing the fruit, or not, is slow, too, but every once in a while it pops up and shows itself--here I am! Fruit!

Great post.

Sarah said...

Oh isn't it the ever-present lesson, PATIENCE! Those moments of interruption really are a good mirror of our hearts, ouch! I'm right there with you. I think my goal is to respond with patience even when my first heart reaction isn't patience, it's so much harder than it sounds to say though. It's so good to know I'm not alone in this struggle. Thanks for sharing!
Sarah