Saturday, June 16, 2007

Labor of love



My first inclination, when shopping for food for my family, is to go to the Super A&P and stock up on everything my family needs. It's truly a one-stop-shop, and it's easier than going to all the places I go to get my food. Now, the A&P is not wrong, per se, and I indeed shop there once a month at least, for items I can't find in my usual shopping expeditions, but there's a better, thoughtful, way of going about it all.

I have always been interested in feeding my family healthy, whole foods. Being that we are mostly vegetarian, and eat mostly vegetarian meals, it has come quite natural. My husband is to thank for this, for he is the true vegetarian, and has been for over 17 years. The rest of my family and I eat chicken, turkey, or fish, but since mostly I am cooking for my husband, then mostly we eat vegetarian.

This morning when I went to the farmer's market, and then to the local health food store, my mind was thinking this thought by
Tonia:

In this culture, nutrition for the family is a labor of love. We have typically valued economy and convenience over health. The reality is I have to shop more frequently, spend more and work harder to provide good food. When I think about the state of our health in this nation, I know it's worth every effort.

It's true, that a lot of my time, effort, and energy is put into planning, shopping, and preparing food for my family. I get food from a co-op, from the health food store, from the Super A&P, and a wholesale club. There must be an order to it, to produce loveliness....my labor of love.

This morning I spent a few hours going to the farmer's market, the health food store; coming home, washing the lettuce and spinach (just picked this morning!), placing it carefully in towel lined bags, washing and preparing baby carrots, making a chocolate cake for Father's Day (with strawberries and cream, of course), and so on.

Spending a Saturday morning shopping for and preparing food for my week is not how I particularly want to spend my Saturday mornings, but it is needed to prepare good food for my family.

Truly, it is my labor of love, and one, in the end, I enjoy doing. I feel blessed to have my family enjoy the fruits of my labor.

13 comments:

Llama Momma said...

Yes. This resonates with me today. My Saturday has been spent in much the same way. It is a labor of love, isn't it?

Mrs. Pivec said...

Lovely post! I have many days just like that. My children and their friends think that cooking is my hobby; it is not. :) But I love good, nutritious food and eating well is important to me and so I do the work and take the time. It is more of a value that I have rather than a passion. When I am tempted to grumble inwardly, I remember the servants heart I need to possess and this daily act allows me to practice it.

L.L. Barkat said...

And, just think, you will never have the chance to give them what they need to grow properly again... childhood is a foundational time nutritionally, and once they are grown, the time is gone.

(Not that a person can't recoup certain aspects, but so much is determined in childhood, including whether or not one becomes diabetic, or overweight, or develops high blood pressure... even cognitive aspects are affected.)

So, labor on. It is true love.

tonia said...

I spent my Friday evening cooking and baking for the same reasons...healthy food provided and a sabbath day prepared for. It was one of those weeks when it felt like a joy rather than a labor...and I appreciate those when they come! :)

Great post...beautiful carrots!

AIMEE said...

i am finding that i enjoy the process of purchasing the fresh food and cooking it when i have a simple uncluttered schedule and enjoy the journey of it all instead of wanting to just be at the destination (the meal)...i am so trying to slow down and get out of hurry mode...

The King's Daughter said...

I happened upon your blog today and have enjoyed reading it! We have a lot in common :0).
Blessings,
Tina

Brenda said...

I suspect if we could all travel back in time to the "pioneer days" and prepare food THAT way for a week...well, it would certainly change MY perspective!

Alycia said...

Thank you for such a thoughtful post. I really needed this reminder of how feeding my family is both an act of love and joy. We are re-working our meals and aiming for a much higher nutrition level than what we have become used to while living in Japan. Thanks for your gentle reminder! Blessings!

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

I would love for you to post some of your vegetarian recipes. I love to focus on vegetables. We do eat meat here, most meals, but I do love vegetarian cooking. A cookbook I really enjoyed was by Jack Bishop, I think it's called a Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen. He cooks seasonally and highlights things that his kids liked.

Kendra said...

I've recently been thinking about this same thing, and am reminded of our example in Proverbs 31:14 -
"She is like the ships of the merchant;
she brings her food from afar."

Christine said...

We spend more money and time to eat healthier too. I wish I had more time, because I love to cook! I love the quote you posted!

Elise said...

So, so good, Andrea. It may not be how we *want* to spend our time, but it sure encourages us when we do it, doesn't it?
Thank you for the encouragement!

Anna said...

So encouraging....on eo fmy least favorite things to do is walk the aisles of the grocery. I like the image of the carrots as well....now I am craving carrots!