Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Living Word

When I wake in the morning, someone should hand me a cup of coffee, served in one of those cups that says, "MOMMY NEEDS COFFEE."

Unfortunately, I am not "myself" until a good dose of caffeine gets in my system, and so, consequently, before coffee, my brain is fuzzy, and my words unintelligable. I am not a morning person.

I should be looking at the living word of the Bible much in the same way. I cannot live without His instruction, and I need it daily--for sustenance, for living, for Joy.

As Piper says in his list: Meditate on the Word of God day and night.

When I am consistently drinking His word, then I perk up as I am made to do. I need to Eat the Word of God, feed it to my children, and drink His living water.

As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." ~Isaiah 55:10-11

Meditating on and reading the Word of God causes His word to rest in our thoughts and somehow make them a filter for all that is going on around us. It gives us the mind of Christ.

I find that if I read a chapter of a book in the Bible at night, the words stay with me in the morning and through the day. I find I am more relaxed at night to read and ponder the Bible, and I am not waiting for children to wake up. (Well, sometimes.)

Some ideas for reading the Living Word:

~rising early to read
~reading a chapter before bed
~reading aloud to your children
~keeping a Bible open several places in your home to read in passing
~putting it beside your computer ;)

The point is this. We need to be looking at the Living Word for what it really is: Living. How can we expect to "make it" everyday without food....or coffee? How so much more the Bible has to offer us in terms of really living!

Meditate and read His word for Joy in our lives, to fight the battle.

9 comments:

Miriam said...

Oh, I love the thought of the Word being food and drink to us. This is a good reminder to me that I need it that much... more, really. Thank you.

I have been *so* blessed by reading through Nehemiah with my children the last few weeks. In the past I've done sporadic Bible readings with them - verses or a chapter at a time, but I've never done a whole book like this. I can't quite find the words right now to express how life-giving this has been... but it has been very, very good. Maybe I'll post on it sometime soon. :)

L.L. Barkat said...

You remind me of that Isaiah passage... "why do you spend on that which is not true food?" Funny, but when I read my bible, I really do feel like a famished person taking in what my soul so desperately needs.

Lovely meditation and challenge here!

AIMEE said...

i laughed when I read this post...I just told my husband on the phone "Jesus plus coffee is dynamite!!" :) I told him that when I drink deeply of the Lord in the morning filling my mind with truth my morning is so blessed....and combining it with my favorite coffee (which we had run out of yesterday morning so i was all the more grateful for it this morning!) is just the whipped cream on top! :)

tonia said...

I love that idea of the Word staying and keeping watch with us over the night. I remember in times when I have been deep in the Word how I would dream in Scripture....I think I will return to reading a bit of the Word at night...Thanks for a great post.

Kendra said...

This is so true, yet how many days go buy when I fail to feed myself and my children from the word?
I would never allow them to miss a meal, yet we miss out feasting on the word all too often.
Thank you for the encouragement and reminder!

Beverly said...

Yes, yes, YES. This was wonderful. It spoke to me because I am definitely one of those "must have coffee to get going" people. How much more so we need to be nourished by the Word of God. I will remember this analogy ... great reminder, thank you.

Rebecca said...

Thank you for this reminder. Very well put.

Susanne said...

Seeing I'm a coffee lover and have to have it as soon as I awake, I can really, really relate and understand what you are saying. Great post!

Brenda said...

Thank you for this post. I am a huge fan of the Bible, but it seems to have lost it's importance with some people. Other "good books" take the place all too often. God's Word is, you are right, alive! Thank you for the encouragement.