Friday, June 01, 2007

Pep talk

When the going gets tough, sometimes I want to run. Though this is not an option.

Something Amy said in an old post always sticks with me:

On another level, I think you are right that we should choose our battles thoughtfully, not resolving ourselves to fight every one that springs up. Conquering for it’s own sake isn’t always wise. I think we should choose our battles carefully, following through with the ones we’ve deemed worth the effort. Sometimes you don’t have the option of giving up, especially if you have two-year-olds or teenagers.

Well, I have nearly both, and certainly not the option of giving up.

So...I meditate on and remember this:

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

I Corinthians 13: 1-8

******************************************

My four year old: Mama, God is even better than love.
Me: Yes, honey, but God *is* love.
Her: Oh, yes, He *is* love.

2 comments:

Elise said...

Mmmm. Paul and Amy. Wisdom doesn't come much better than that.

I hear you, friend. And I am lifting you up in prayer, even as I lift myself. (((Andrea)))

And oh yes, Miss Four-year-old, He *is*.

Mrs. Pivec said...

Oh... I see you have been doing some serious work over the past few days.

Beautiful reminders for yourself - and us. Thank you. :)

Remember, you are not alone in this. Not only do you have God, but so many of your mothering friends truly, truly relate.

And also, I find it helpful to remind myself that "it is the journey, not the destination." Appreciating the challenging moments are hard, but these really are "the good ol' days." :)

Thanks for stopping by while I was away. It's great to be back!