Sunday, June 24, 2007

Sabbath glimpses






What's playing: Banjonique. Trance-like music for cooking.
What's on the menu: Corn and Broccoli Calzones, Personal pizzas for the littles. Daddy rolls out the pizza dough--he's the best at that.

A quick break for reading...



Yummy, delicious calzones:

Corn and Broccoli Calzones

1 1/2 cups chopped broccoli florets
1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 3 ears)
1 cup shredded mozzarella
2/3 cup ricotta cheese
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
20 ounces prepared pizza dough
2 teaspoons canola oil
All-purpose flour for dusting

1. Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of oven, preheat to 475. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
2. Saute green onions, corn, and broccoli in olive oil until broccoli is slightly tender. Let cool.
3. Combine mozzarella, ricotta, basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add cooled broccoli mixture.
4. On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into 6 pieces. Roll each piece into an 8 inch circle. Place a generous 3/4 cup filling on one half of each circle, leaving a 1-inch border of dough. Brush the border with water and fold the top half over the filling. Fold the edges over and crimp with a fork to seal. Make several small slits in the top to vent steam; brush each calzone with oil. Transfer the calzones to the prepared baking sheets.
5. Bake the calzones until browned on top, about 15 minutes. Let cool before serving. Serve with a side of marinara sauce for dipping.

9 comments:

Mama Monk said...

This looks so super yummy. I love the pictures with sun glinting in naturally. beautiful.

Beck said...

Those calzones look DELICIOUS! What beautiful photos...

Beverly said...

Beautiful. I love the pictures!! And thanks for sharing the yummy recipe.

tonia said...

Love your photos!

Thanks for the yummy recipe...sounds delicious.

AIMEE said...

will definitely be making these on friday night...I have some frozen pizza dough that I have been wanting to try something new with...this will be fabulous!

goodlikeamedicine said...

Ooooh, yum! Thanks for sharing :) I'll file this one for sure.

Have you ever read Doorposts' little Sabbath pamplet? I think it's really good. You can order it for less than $7 I think.... anyway - let's see if I can find it:

here it is

I echo your previous post, too - rest is what we need! My "batteries" get so low these days - my kids are actually up with my mother and sister for 2 days while I rest and get a few things done - my husband is gone for 2 weeks.... Ah, sweet sleep.

Mrs. Pivec said...

Looks like you had a restorative day. Terrific photos. :)

Don't know if you've read Wayne Muller's "Sabbath," but it was intstrumental in me re-integrating this gift from God back into my life.

Blessings and energy for the new week!

Lindsey @ Enjoythejourney said...

As we say around here DEEEEE-licious!

Christine said...

Wonderful pictures, Andrea!

I hope you enjoy your bloggy break. I'll see you when you return!