Sunday, July 29, 2007

Children's Book Monday: Blueberries for Sal


Kerplinck! Kerplanck! Kerplunck!
What's that sound, you ask?
Rain?
Footsteps?
No...it's blueberries! The wonderful sound of blueberries hitting a tin pail, held by our little gal Sal.
Such is the verse that repeats itself over and over in this Caldecott classic by Robert McCloskey.



Little Sal takes a lovely adventure in the Maine countryside with her mother, picking blueberries. What a wonderful example of a child "helping" its mother. The illustrations capture perfectly the sweetness of a young toddler, wanting to do what mommy does.



What's lovely is the adventure also had by Little Bear and how his experience coincides with Sal's. A cute portrayal of how animals and humans in nature are similar.

The story is simple, the pictures detailed enough to be poured over and catch every nuance. I love the vintage details of this 1949 book.

A wonderful "farm to table" book, and perfect to read this time of year if you take your littles to the pick-your-own.

Enjoy!

When you are finished reading, make these muffins.

Visit Elise at A Path Made Straight for more Children's Book Monday

8 comments:

Joyful Days said...

McCloskey is a huge favorite at our house, but Blueberries for Sal is my Boo's favorite.

Such a wonderful book!

Tracy said...

This is a favorite here, too, as is One Morning in Maine.

Robin@MyPursuitOf... said...

We are just starting Before Five In A Row. This will be our second book. My son LOVES blueberries. I can't wait to listen to the berries as they hit the little tin pail we have.

Susan said...

I always loved this book as a kid, and recently bought a copy to read to my boys as well!

Trina said...

Our family just loves this book! My girls are sometime confused as to wether Sal is a boy or girl though. We also like Make Way For Ducklings.
Blessings,
Trina

Beck said...

Not only do we love that book, but we actually read it right after blueberry picking the other day!
And now I want to make blueberry muffins!

Elise said...

I've often heard of this, but never checked it out! I shall do so immediately! :)
Thank you!

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

We should read this book. I think I have, but not in a while.

We just picked some blueberries yesterday. That looks like a good recipe!