Friday, July 27, 2007

Miscellaneous

Thank you all for your warm wishes for my birthday. I certainly was blessed hearing from each of you!!

It's funny, because even though my mother taught me to iron my clothes and put on lipstick when I go out, I do neither. :) And, of course, there are so many other wonderful things I learned from her, but best keep it at ten right now, right? They are fun things to think about.

Also, to all of you offering advice on the fruit flies....thank you!! I'll tell you what worked if you are to get them. First--wipe down cabinets, clean out trash cans and get the cans out of the house. Have no trash in the house until the fruit flies are gone. Fill a small bowl of apple cider vinegar and a squirt of dishwashing liquid. Leave it on the table and the flies will go toward the vinegar, but get trapped because of the soap. (Thanks Stacy!) I also got a glass jar, put a cut up banana in the bottom, covered it with plastic and poked holes in the top. That seemed to trap the flies in the jar, and then they couldn't get out through the tiny holes. (Thanks, Helen!) Also, put all fruit away. So, hopefully that might help someone!

I know it's not really soup season, but I had an amazing soup this past weekend, made by my sister-in-law. So, maybe if you don't want to make this in the summer, save the recipe for the winter. But I quite like it, with all the lemon in it, it gives it a fresh twist. (Go here for the recipe.)

Have I said how much I love the little sayings my four year old does? She is just so clever with her words. I've got to get them down before she turns five. (And I've told her she can't turn five. Nope. She has to stay four.) Some examples:

~Mom, that house had lots of trees. It was all shadowey in the yard. (For shady.)

~Her: Mom, I want rice in my black bean soup.
Me: I made it with rice, honey.
Her: Oh, so the rice is drowning in there?


~And, finally, we were staying at the beach, and it was super hot one night. I was sleeping in the same bed as she and she wiggled around all night. In the morning I asked her "Why were you moving around so much last night?" She said, "Mom, I just couldn't find a cold spot!!

Anyway, I think they're cute. :)

Have a great weekend, everyone!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrea- Don't you love those 4 year old quotes?

I, for one am glad to know that you don't iron all your clothes! he he:)

Have a great weekend!
Ami

Beck said...

Poor drowning rice...
I'm going to jot down that fruit fly advice, because we've had an infestation once or twice and it's very discouraging.

Stacy said...

Andrea,
I'm relieved you don't iron your clothes. I very rarely do, either. (As little as I can possibly get away with. I intentionally buy clothes that don't need to be ironed!)
You're welcome for the fruit-fly tip.
*And* last but not least, I think your 4 year old has awfully cute things to say, too.
~Stacy

Elise said...

Those are cute! I love the drowning rice one - *smile*!